If you are a computer science student, so you must have many questions related to the IT industry, such as “which programming language should I learn? or how many programming languages I need to learn?, is college subjects and books knowledge is enough to get a job or I need to learn something else?.”
If you try to Google these questions you will get some mixed answers which may confuse you more. In the IT industry, we have many fields and each one is different from another in many aspects. While studying computer science in college you have to study different subjects and some of those could be totally irrelevant to the current scenario of the IT industry and technologies.
If you ask “is college subjects’ knowledge enough to secure a job?” the answer would be no? apart from the institute’s books and theoretical knowledge, you need some skills and practical knowledge of additional tools and technologies which are in demand.
Here in this article we have discussed and provided a blueprint of how to learn Computer science, so you could get a job in the future.
We have divided the computer science study into 3 stages, it’s not like what you study in college, these stages mostly focus on the practical skills which most of the students miss in their college life. These 3 stages are specifically for the software engineers, if you want a career in computer hardware, you may not find any valuable information for yourself.
3 Stages to become a Software Engineer.
- Programming Language and Coders.
- Programmers (Projects)
- Computer Scientist
If you follow all these three stages one by one, you will become a highly qualified software engineer.
1st Stage: Programming Language and Coders
Duration: Give at least one year to this stage.
Programming languages: Learn at least two different programming languages.
In Computer science, everything starts with Programming language and coding. Coding is all about learning Programming language syntax and improve your logical skills.
These days we only consider high-level programming languages so its best to start your coding journey with a high-level object-oriented programming language.
With coding we code for small logics using simple syntax, the problems we solve using coding is always a fragment of Real-world problems.
Only on the basis of Coding skill its hard to get a job in the software industry, because tech companies search for those developers who can not only code but also know how to write big projects program.
You also have heard of coding competitions, in these competitions’ coders provided with some problems and they have to solve it in a given interval of time. Google also held an annually coding competition and coders across the world participate in it. You can also make a career in coding.
There are many programming languages out there, most of those shear the same properties with some disparities and objectives. It’s completely an individual choice and project demand which programming language you choose.
Programming Language and Programming
Always start your coding with a specific programming language, because it is the easiest way and the first step to be a part of the software world.
It could be hard for a beginner to choose his first programming language, let me tell you in this stage it does not matter which programming language you choose because all the high-level programming languages share the same concepts and it’s the concept you need to learn. With time, project and market demand you can switch programming languages.
There are many programming languages, it’s completely fine if you have a specific programming language in your mind which you want to learn, or you can just pick one of the two programming languages we have provided here.
- Python is the most popular high-level, object-oriented programming language of 2019-20
- It has a very simple syntax which makes it easy to learn
- Coding on python feels like writing commands in simple English
- with few lines of code, we can make our logic.
- It is an ideal language for beginners to start with.
- It is very versatile, so once you are done with basic you can mold your career in Web-Development, Data Science, AI and machine learning using python.
- It has a huge community supporting it.
- On the Internet, you will get hundreds of sources where you can learn python.
- It is the widely used and most powerful programming language.
- It is a pure object-oriented programming language.
- I won’t suggest you choose Java as your first programming language.
- It has a complex syntax which makes it hard to learn.
- It has the largest community support.
- Java is used to create desktop and Android application
- We can also use java for web-development and Artificial Intelligence.
Tips for the Programming language and Coder Stage
- If you are a beginner first learn Python and then Java.
- It’s necessary to have knowledge of at least two different programming languages.
- Knowledge of both the programming languages helps you to understand the basic and most important difference between programming languages.
- Once you learn the basic of both the programming languages, you will get an idea which programming language you want to use as a weapon for your career and projects.
- While you are learning programming language basics, try to learn all the basic concept because in interviews you will be asked questions from the basics programming.
- Your main focus should be on the logics not on the solution.
- Learn how Object-oriented programming implemented.
- And your basic concepts should be crystal clear.
2nd Stage: Programmers and Projects
Once you are done with basic of at least of two programming languages and learned how to put logic using different programming syntax now you need to upgrade your skills and step up your league with what we call a programmer.
A coder works on small logics, and a programmer uses many logics at once to create a big program. While your program you must have the knowledge of all basic data structure and programming syntax, the coding stage gives you an idea, how to put logic and the programming stage give you idea how to merge different logics at once to create a sophisticated program.
When you on your programmer stage you have to work on different projects which will help you to put all the logic and syntax at once. There are many open-source projects on the Internet from there you can reference some projects to make your own projects, or you can work on pre-built projects and re-write the complete code in your own way.
If you are on this stage you are good to apply for any interview related to your field and choice. On the programmer stage, you can secure an internship or job in any company, it mostly depends on your knowledge, projects quality and experience.
What to learn in Programmer Stage?
Once you are done with the basics of programming languages, now you need to choose a specific field in which you want to build your career, and you can be:
- Web developer
- Software developer
- Android app developer
- Data Scientist
- Data Analyst
- Artificial Intelligence Engineer
- Machine Learning Engineer
Before you jump to a particular field you need to upgrade some more concepts and skills, such as Data Structure and Algorithms Network working and Operating System.
Data Structure and Algorithms
Data Structure and Algorithms is the most important topic of programming and it is not optional, you have to learn all the basic of Data Structure and algorithms and also learn how to implement all the algorithms using a particular programming language.
Once you have learned the basics of programming language, your first priority should be learning of Different data structures and Algorithms, big tech companies like Google and Amazon mainly focus on the Data Structure and algorithm knowledge of the candidate who has appeared for the interview.
Theoretical learning of Data structure and algorithms would not be enough you also need to learn how can you implement all those algorithms using a programming language.
On the internet, you would find various resources and books for data structures and algorithms, and once you learn the data structure and algorithms you will get an idea of how to write an efficient program.
With DSA you will learn how the minimum complexity of an algorithm makes if efficient and different from other algorithms performing the same task. The skills of using the write algorithms and prefect data structure separate a solid programmer from an average programmer.
If you want to exceed your coding skills with web development and the internet of Things, you need some basic knowledge of how networking works and how we communicate with networks and servers. Web development is a never-ending field of the programming world, and with Java and python, you can build a career in web development and IoT.
There are many books from which you can gain the fundamental knowledge of Networking and different Internet protocols, and one of the best books is Computer Networking: A Top-Down Approach by Kurose and Ross.
If you are thinking learning a programming language with some basic concepts is enough to be a programmer, here you are completely wrong, if you are a software engineer you just can’t ignore the role of different operating systems, though many programming languages are independent of Operating systems, yet you should have the knowledge of different operating systems and their working.
With the operating system, you learn the memory management of a program and the time consumption by a different process. With the operating system, we deal with the different concepts of Multi-processing and multi-threading.
Skills to improve in Programmer stage
- In programmer stage, you need to learn how to write a Good Program
- You should know how to minimize the complexity of your program’s algorithms
- You should have the knowledge of which data structure to choose for your program.
- The program you create should be time and memory efficient.
- Learn about networking and different protocols if you want to build your career in web development
- Works on different projects.
- Working on projects teach you how to work on big projects and how to debug it.
3rd Stage: Computer Scientist
It could be possible that within your programmer stage you have secured a job, but in the IT industry, we have regular updates and new technologies replacing the old ones every day. So, it is better to upgrade your skillset, because learning never ends.
In companies, you work with teams and mostly focus on a specific field, but do not let that specific field bind you forever. Now you are on a stage where you can think for yourself and now you have the knowledge of most of the technologies so with market demand keep upgrade your skills.
Most of the software engineers keep stick with one technology, and when the new one replaces it, they simply lost their job, so if you do not want to get sacked keep up to date your skills with new emerging technologies.
You can only upgrade your skills if you have all the knowledge of basics programming so never stop coding and programming.
Computer Scientist skills
Now you are a programmer and associated with a specific IT field, the only thing you can do is just upgrade your skills, and you have the basic knowledge of programming and coding you can easily shift from one field to another.
With your Knowledge of Programming, you can start you learning with big data such as AI, Data Science, Machine learning, etc.