If you own a website, you need to manage a large number of files on a regular basis. However, managing files can be a daunting task, especially when you have just created a website. Transferring a large number of files to your website’s server and managing them can be pretty challenging when done manually. This is where an FTP client comes into the picture.
An FTP client makes it easier for you to upload all the essential files from your computer system to your hosting server. All the website owners leverage an FTP client to transfer files from their local computers to the web server.
If you have just created a website and are looking for the best FTP client to transfer files to your website’s server, you have landed in the right place.
In this blog post, we shall make you familiar with some of the best FTP clients for your website, along with their key features. Also, we shall introduce you to what an FTP client is and the features that you must consider while choosing an FTP client.
So, let us get started!
What is an FTP Client?
An FTP client is a software program that enables you to connect to remote servers through FTP. IN general, FTP stands for file transfer protocol, which is a standard communication protocol for transferring files between computers over a network. Besides FTP, FTP clients also use other protocols, such as SFTP, HTTP , and HTTPS, for file transfer.
FTP clients provide you with an environment where you can upload files from your computer to the web server, download the files from the server onto your computer, and manage files stored on the webserver.
There are also multiple FTP clients that enable you to connect to cloud storage platforms, such as Google Drive and Dropbox, edit files on the server without downloading them, and log the file upload and download history.
Features to Consider While Selecting an FTP Client
A plethora of FTP clients are available out there, and all of them are different. Therefore, it becomes important to choose the best one that fits your requirements. However, there are certain features that you must consider while choosing the FTP client for you. These features are as follows:
- OS Compatibility: The most significant feature you must look for in your FTP client is its compatibility with all major operating systems, such as Windows, macOS, and Linux.
- Ease of Use: Look for the FTP client that provides the drag-and-drop functionality and an intuitive user interface that make file transfer more convenient.
- Locate Files Quickly: Choose the FTP client that provides the bookmarking and search tools to locate your files easily and quickly.
- Flexible Transfer: Every FTP client connects to certain types of servers. Some FTP clients can connect to only online servers, while some allow you to connect to third-party cloud storage platforms, such as Dropbox and Google Drive. Therefore, make sure to check which types of server your FTP client connects to.
- Automation Features: Try to choose the FTP client that can allow you to automate various tasks, such as scheduling data transmission.
- Track Progress: Choose the FTP client that provides the feature of tracking directories side-by-side so that you can monitor the performance of local and remote servers.
- Resume Upload: The FTP client should be capable of resuming the transfer activity of uploading the file where it halts when the internet connection slows down or stops.
- Speed and Security: Speed and security are the two most-needed features that any FTP client must offer. The FTP client should provide fast file transfer while prioritizing security.
Top 10 FTP Clients for Windows, Mac, and Linux
The following is a list of handpicked FTP clients that you can choose from according to your requirements.
FileZilla is among the most popular and widely used FTP clients. It is a free, open-source, and beginner-friendly FTP application that consists of FileZilla Client and FileZilla Server. WordPress website owners often prefer FileZilla over all the FTP clients available out there.
Clients are compatible with Windows, macOS, and Linux operating systems, while servers are compatible only with Windows. Not only does FileZilla support the FTP protocol but also other protocols, such as SFTP and FTPS.
- FileZilla provides the drag-and-drop feature that enables you to simply drag files from your computer and upload them to the web server.
- It allows you to filter files with their names.
- A FileZilla client is capable of supporting a file of up to 4 GB.
- The main screen comes with a side display where you can view the status of the file transfer and troubleshoot issues if any.
- You can easily locate your files and folders and bookmark them for instant access.
- Even if you lose your internet connection while a file transfer is in progress, FileZilla resumes it when the connection is back.
- It also provides the directory comparison and remote file editing features.
- FileZilla Pro lets you connect to third-party cloud storage platforms, such as Amazon S3 and OneDrive.
- It provides comprehensive support documentation.
FileZilla is free to use. However, FileZilla Pro requires you to purchase a license that costs about $19.99.
CyberDuck is another best FTP client on our list that ensures fast file transfer to and from local remote hosts. It is also a free, open-source, and easy-to-use FTP client. It is compatible with only Windows and macOS operating systems and not Linux.
Moreover, the interface of CyberDuck is modern and better than other FTP clients. The best thing about CyberDuck is that it provides client-side encryption with ‘cryptomator’ to keep your files or data safe on web servers and cloud storage platforms.
- CyberDuck can connect to any text editor so that you can edit files quickly and efficiently.
- It also comes with the drag-and-drop feature, which allows you to drag files from your local computer and upload them to the web server with just a click.
- This FTP client supports third-party storage solutions, such as Amazon S3, Microsoft Azure, Google Drive, BackBlaze B2, and DropBox.
- Along with FTP, CyberDuck supports the SFTP protocol.
- The bookmarking feature of this FTP client allows you to bookmark logging history, imports, files, and many more.
- It can seamlessly integrate with the Keychain password protector and Bonjour auto-discovery network.
WinSCP is a robust FTP client that is open-source and available only for Windows. It has a dual-screen graphical interface that connects the local and remote environments for effortless file transfer.
More interestingly, this FTP client enables you to customize your main page. You can have multiple tabs and sessions. With multiple sessions, it is possible for you to accomplish more work in less time.
- WinSCP has an integrated text editor that makes file editing hassle-free.
- This FTP client supports multiple file transfer protocols, including FTP, SFTP, SCP, FTPS, WebDav, and S3.
- In addition to the graphical interface, this FTP client provides a scripting interface with many commands to automate tasks.
- On the SFTP server, WinSCP allows you to encrypt your files without any hassle using the AES-256 encryption.
- It supports caching directory content.
- There is nothing to worry about anonymous users accessing your files because WinSCP lets you protect your files with a master password.
- This FTP client also supports resuming the file transfer through the FTP and SFTP protocols if you lose the internet connection.
- In case you face any issues while working with WinSCP, you can take help from its resources, such as detailed documentation, customer support, and a user forum.
ForkLift is an advanced file manager and file client available exclusively for the macOS operating system. It lets you connect to multiple servers simultaneously and accomplish multiple file transfers. Moreover, ForkLift has a dual-screen graphical user interface that connects local and remote environments for hassle-free file transfer.
- ForkLift comes with the drag-and-drop functionality, which makes it easier to transfer files to and from the remote server.
- This FTP client enables you to connect to various storage solutions, including BlackBlaze 2, Amazon S3, WebDav, and Rackspace.
- It supports FTP and SFTP file transfer protocols.
- You can integrate your favorite text editor with ForkLift to edit files easily.
- The multi-rename feature allows you to select files in bulk and rename them simultaneously.
- This FTP client lets you synchronize your favorites and renamed presets synchronized across all your devices through DropBox.
- It supports the file filtering feature so that you can easily locate the desired file.
ForkLift requires you to purchase a license. It provides three different licenses that are as follows:
- Single User License: $29.95
- Family License: $49.95
- Small Business License: $99.95
Transmit is yet another powerful and fast FTP client for the macOS operating system. It is a reliable FTP client and has an easy-to-use and beginner-friendly interface. Thanks to its dual-pane view, which is significantly faster than Finder, it becomes possible to find any file with relative ease.
One of the most appealing features of Transmit is Panic Sync, which keeps data in synchronization across all your devices. It also includes the file synchronization feature, which supports local-to-local and remote-to-remote synchronization.
- The drag-and-drop feature of Transmit enables quick and easy uploading and syncing of files.
- With this FTP client, you can manage multiple servers at the same time.
- Transmit supports FTP and SFTP file transfer protocols.
- Transmit can connect to 11 different cloud services, including Google Drive, DropBox, BlackBlaze 2, Microsoft Azure, Rackspace, and DreamObjects.
- This FTP client enables you to select files in bulk and rename the text you wish to.
- The smart searching system lets users find complex files quickly with ease.
- Whenever you select any file, you will get its information in the sidebar. As a result, you can inspect files as you browse.
- It supports the transfer of extra-large Amazon S3 files.
Transmit requires you to purchase its license, which costs $45 for a single copy. However, if you purchase multiple licenses, you will have to pay less. For example, if you purchase 10 copies of Transmit, it costs you $43 per copy.
CuteFTP is a secure FTP client for Windows and macOS. It has a clean interface that lets novice users and network administrators transfer files across multiple locations with ease. It is one of the most secure FTP clients since it leverages password authentication, powerful encryption, and a password manager.
- CuteFTP has an integrated color-coded HTML editor that enables users to create, open, and edit HTML files on a local system or a remote server.
- It supports FTP, SFTP, FTPS, and HTTPS protocols.
- This FTP client lets you connect to new FTP sites in a jiffy with a step-by-step wizard. In addition, its user-friendly interface helps you to update and maintain complex websites effortlessly.
- Also, CuteFTP supports the automation of various tasks, such as creating backup scripts, synchronizing websites, and monitoring changes.
- The drag-and-drop feature makes it easier to upload files to a web server.
- You can even schedule a file transfer with CuteFTP.
- More interestingly, users can manage audio files and create podcast RSS feeds.
CuteFTP requires you to purchase a license worth $59.99. Also, it comes with a Pro version whose license costs $89.99.
Commander One is a powerful file manager and file client for Mac systems. It is a dual-panel, reliable, and fairly fast FTP client for transferring files between your local computer and the web server. It also allows you to create, delete, and copy files from one server to another.
Moreover, you can enable multiple connections, which makes your workflow more efficient. It also provides a way to access all your connections going on at the same time in one place. The best part of Commander One is that it supports an unlimited number of tabs with just two panels.
- With Commander One, you can use two panels at once. It serves as the best alternative to Mac’s Finder.
- It supports FTP, FTPS, and SFTP file transfer protocols.
- Commander One can connect with various cloud storage solutions, such as Amazon S3, Backblaze 2, DropBox, OneDrive, and Box Cloud.
- It lets you compress your files, and some compression versions it supports include ZIP, RAR, and TGZ.
- With this FTP client, you can queue all the file operations, and you can also assign a hotkey to any action that you perform on a file.
- It has a built-in file viewer that supports hex and binary files in addition to text, image, media, and HTML formats.
Commander One provides the following three pricing options to choose from:
- Personal: $29 per license
- Team: $99 per license
- Company: $149.99 per license
If you have just created a website and are a Windows user, this FTP client is good to go. FreeFTP is a dedicated FTP client for the Windows operating system. It is compatible with Windows 10, 8, 7, and Vista.
In addition, it is completely free to use and ensures fast and efficient file transfer. However, it also offers a paid version, which is specifically referred to as Direct FTP. It is specially designed for novice users.
- FreeFTP comes with drag-and-drop functionality, which makes it easy for you to upload files from your local system to the server.
- It supports FTP, SFTP, FTPS, and HTTP protocols.
- The bookmarking feature lets you bookmark important local and remote files and folders and access them anytime as per your needs.
- When you use the paid version of FreeFTP, i.e., Direct FTP, you will find a built-in HTML editor , which allows you to edit files quickly and easily.
- FreeFTP provides all the file management features, such as creating, moving, and adding files.
- You can set permission for files and folders on your server in order to ensure that only authorized users access them.
WS_FTP Professional is one of the most common and widespread FTP clients among Windows users because of the security it provides. The popularity of this FTP client is due to its high levels of encryption, reduced administrative overhead, and easy customization. It leverages multiple forms of encryption before and after the file transfers to ensure that all your files are safe.
- WS_FTP Professional supports FTP, SSH/SFTP, SSL/FTPS, OpenSSL, and HTTPS protocols for secure file transfers.
- The drag-and-drop functionality makes it easy to upload files to the server and download files to your local computer from the server.
- You can search files by various parameters, such as file size, type, and data.
- It enables you to have unlimited local and remote connections.
- You can transfer multiple files between local and remote servers simultaneously.
- This FTP client is packed with many other capabilities, including email notifications, compression, synchronization, backup, scheduling, and post-transfer events.
WS_FTP Professional offers two licenses. One is the single-user license, which costs $49.95, and the other is the professional license, which costs $89.95 per license.
SmartFTP is another robust FTP client on our list that is available for Windows users. It has a clean and modern interface, which is beginner-friendly. Also, SmartFTP ensures secure, reliable, and efficient file transfers. This FTP client is ideal to use for website publishing and maintenance.
- There is an integrated text editor that allows you to edit local and remote files without any hassle.
- SmartFTP supports FTP, FTPS, and SFTP/SSH protocols.
- It enables connection with popular cloud storage solutions, including Amazon S3, Google Drive, OneDrive, BackBlaze 2, and Box.
- With SmartFTP, you can schedule your tasks that run automatically at a specific time.
- This FTP client supports synchronization and backup of remote and local files.
- The bulk rename feature allows you to quickly select multiple files and rename them based on flexible rename rules.
SmartFTP offers three pricing plans:
- Professional: $49.99 per year
- Ultimate: $69.99 per year
- Enterprise: $179.99 per year
This brings us to the end of our list of the best FTP clients. All the aforementioned FTP clients are fast, secure, and reliable. Among all, CyberDuck, WinSCP, and FreeFTP are completely free to use. While other FTP clients either provide free and paid versions or completely paid versions.
SmartFTP, WS_FTP Professional, FreeFTP, and WinSCP are specially for Windows users, while Commander One, ForkLift, and Transmit are for Mac users. On the other hand, CuteFTP and CuberDuck are compatible with Windows and macOS systems. Only FileZilla is compatible with Windows, macOS, and Linux systems.
We hope you found this list of the best FTP clients helpful. Do let us know your favorite FTP client or the one which you have chosen in the comments section below.
People are also reading: