NRC Full Form: National Register of Citizens
NRC Full Form is National Register of Citizens , and it is a register which holds name and information of citizen of Assam state, and it is maintained by the Government of India. NRC is only applied for Assam and it was formed after the 1951 Census of India. Since the census of 1951, the NRC has not been updated, but now they are updating it for those people and their decedents who have registered in NRC by then. After the formation of Bangladesh, people of Bangladesh illegally migrating to India so to stop this illegal migration after the 1951 Census Indian Government create NRC under the directive of the Ministry of Home Affairs. The idea was simple, register all the people of Assam in NRC and provide them with the Identity certification of India and stop the further illegal Migration, but this idea failed because the implementation was not so strong. Now they are updating the NCR and allowing only those people to register whose names appeared at least in any of the Electoral Rolls published for any of the then assembly constituencies within the territorial limits of present-day state of Assam up to midnight of 24 March 1971 and also of descendants of such persons presently having permanent residence within the state.
Objectives of NCR update
The main purpose of NCR update in Assam to identify Indian citizens among all the present residents of the state. Those who will be found illegal migrants during the NRC updating would be put through under judicial and legislative considerations.
Eligibility Criteria to Register for NCR
- The person whose name in NCR 1972.
- A person whose name in any Electoral Rolls up to 24 March 1971
- Descendent of those people whose name in NCR 1972 or in any Electoral Rolls up to 24 March 1971
- People who came to Assam on or before 25 March 1971 and registered themselves according to the rules made by the Central Government with the Foreigners Registration Regional Officer (FRRO) and who have not been declared as illegal migrants or foreigners by the competent authority.
- All such original inhabitants shall be included on the basis of proof to the satisfaction of the Registering Authority. On the establishment of the citizenship of such persons beyond a reasonable doubt, their names shall be in the updated NRC.
- All members of the Tea Tribes shall be covered under the ‘Original inhabitants of Assam’ category provided for under Clause 3(3) of the Schedule of The Citizenship (Registration of Citizens and Issue of National Identity Cards) Rules, 2003.
- All Indian Citizens including their children and descendants who have moved to Assam post 24 March 1971 would be eligible for inclusion in the updated NRC on adducing satisfactory proof of residence in any part of the country (outside Assam) as on 24 March 1971.
- ‘D’ voters can apply for inclusion of their names in the updated NRC. However, their names will be finally included only when the appropriate Foreigner Tribunal declares them as non-foreigners.
People are also reading: