Text to speech tools is a class of applications that read aloud digitally written text. Traditionally, they have been used by visually impaired individuals, but nowadays, they are popular among people from all walks of life. Text to speech tools is particularly useful when you are multitasking as they allow you to work on some tasks while listening to the text being read out. Such tools also help you learn new languages, pronounce words, listen to audiobooks, etc.
This article will discuss some of the best text-to-speech applications, along with their key features.
So, let us get started!
Best Text to Speech Applications
MicMonster is one of the best text-to-speech tools out there that have more than 500+ voices in 140 languages. Right now, you are can MicMonster lifetime deal at a one-time cost. Here are the best features
- Multiple Voice Styles (Sad, Happy, Excited, etc) For English. French, Chinese, Japanese & Portuguese languages
- Advanced Editor to Customize the speaking speed, pitch, and volume for specific words. You can also customize the pronunciation of words by an advanced editor
- 500+ Natural Sounding Voices in 140 languages.
- Android & iPhone App (Coming Soon)
2. Amazon Polly
It is a cloud-based text to speech software developed by Amazon Web Services, and it uses deep learning techniques to transform the text into speech. It turns text into speech, thus allowing you to build text-to-speech applications and design new types of speech-enabled products.
- Its API allows you to integrate its text-to-speech capabilities in emails, articles, e-books, etc.
- It can store audio in MP3, PCM, and Vorbis file formats.
- Supports numerous languages, including British English, American English, German, Spanish, Russian, etc.
- For Standard voices, you can use Polly for free for up to five million characters a month for the first twelve months. After that, you’re billed at a rate of $4 for every one million characters.
It is a realistic text-to-speech converter that uses an online AI Voice generator and synthetic voices from IBM, Google, Amazon, and Microsoft. Some of the major applications of Play.ht include product demos, audio articles, podcasts, videos, etc.
- Comes with a library of over 600 distinctive male and female voices across 57 languages, including English and Hindi.
- Provides comprehensive video tutorials to help users if they encounter any difficulties working with Play.ht.
- You can download the audio recordings in MP3 and Wavy formats.
- It offers four different pricing plans. The Personal plan costs $14.25 per month, the Professional plan for bloggers, content creators, etc. costs $29.25 per month, the Growth plan for teams and small companies costs $74.25 per month, and the Business plan for large companies costs $149.25 per month.
Voice Dream Reader is a text-to-speech software optimized for mobile platforms. It operates on iOS and iPadOS and is ideal for people with conditions like ADHD, dyslexia, blindness, and low vision. It gives you complete control over how the text is rendered as speech.
- There are 186 built-in voices across 30 languages, including English, Bulgarian, Croatian, Czech, etc.
- Auto-scrolling, full-screen, and distraction-free modes help you focus on what you’re listening to.
- It can be integrated with cloud-based platforms like Google Drive, Evernote, Dropbox, iCloud Drive, etc.
- It can function offline, i.e. without an internet connection.
- This tool is available on the App Store for $19.99.
Balabolka is a text-to-speech software based on SAPI, Microsoft’s native API. It uses Microsoft Anna to convert text files to speech. It checks for spelling errors through VBScript and is compatible with many online spell checkers. Also, it gives the option to work with TTS voice and pitch.
- You can open various supported file formats, like DOC, PDF, and HTML, in the program directly to convert them into speech.
- If you use SAPI 4, you can choose from 8 different voices. If you use SAPI 5, you can choose from 2 different voices or use the Microsoft Speech Platform.
- To create a customized recording, you can adjust the speech, volume, and playback pitch.
- You can store the recording in MP3 and WAV formats.
- You can customize the pronunciation of words by the program.
- It is free software.
Panopreter Basic is a free text-to-speech application that is easy to use and offers basic text-to-speech functionality. The only limitation of this tool is that it is available only for Windows.
- You can upload plain and rich text files, web pages, and Microsoft Word documents to convert them into speech.
- You can customize the language, destination of saved audio files, and interface colors.
- Output is stored in MP3 and WAV formats.
- While the basic version is free, you can purchase the Premium version for a one-time payment of $32.95. Panopreter Premium offers toolbars for Microsoft Word and Internet Explorer, additional voices, etc.
Zabaware text to speech reader is a speech synthesis application developed for Windows operating system. The paid version comes equipped with top-notch CoreProc or AT&T Natural voices.
- You can open different file formats directly in the program or just copy and paste the text.
- The program can read aloud any text you copy to the clipboard.
- It is possible to customize the speed and volume of your audio recordings.
- It can convert and store text files in WAV format.
- The basic version is free. However, the premium version, which has additional, natural-sounding voices, is available for a price of $24.95.
Speechelo is a cloud-based text to speech solution that is optimized to create voiceovers for videos. You can use it for creating sales videos, training videos, and educational videos, and transform any text into a completely realistic voiceover with a few clicks.
- The text-to-speech engine can add realistic inflections to voices.
- Over 30 voices, both male and female, across 23 languages.
- It can be used with almost every video editing software, including Camtasia, Adobe Premiere, etc.
- There are options to introduce breathing, pauses, distinctive voice tones, etc., as well as to change the speed and pitch of speech.
- You can purchase the software by making a one-time payment of $47. There is a 60-day money-back guarantee.
Nuance Dragon is a cloud-based, AI-powered text to speech application. It is hosted on Microsoft Azure. Also, It is optimized for thin-client and virtualized environments, and you can integrate it smoothly with your workflows.
- It uses 256-bit encryption to encrypt all data, both in transit and during storage.
- It is compliant with HIPAA requirements essential for satisfying security, privacy, and confidentiality needs in the public sector.
- Optimized for touchscreen devices.
- You can import lists of custom words related to your profession.
- You can create and edit spreadsheets in Microsoft Excel with full-text control.
- The Legal version has a variety of integrated legal terms.
- Available in three versions: the Home version costs $200, while the Professional and Legal versions both cost $500.
10. Natural Reader
Natural Reader is a text-to-speech application that comes equipped with several powerful features. It is optimal for personal use, e.g. for dyslexics and for individuals who are learning a new language.
- Inbuilt OCR (optical character recognition) allows you to upload photographs or scanned documents to be converted into audio.
- Comes with an in-built web browser.
- Fonts are dyslexic-friendly.
- You can manage files across different formats.
- There is a 7-day free trial. After that, you can purchase the single plan for $49 and the team plan (for four users) at $79.
11. Capti Voice
Capti Voice is designed for educational use: it is great for both adults and children who are learning a new language, studying lengthy reading assignments, etc. Also, it is suitable for individuals with conditions like vision loss, dyslexia, ADHD, and motor problems.
- There are special features to aid dyslexics, individuals with impaired vision, and those suffering from other disabilities.
- Can open a wide variety of digital formats, such as PDF, Epub, Daisy, HTML , etc.
- It is available for offline use, and you can synchronize it across multiple devices.
- Offers word-by-word speech tracking.
- After the seven-day free trial, you can buy the 1-month plan at $1.99, the 6-month plan at $9.99, and the 12-month plan at $19.99.
Text-to-speech software is becoming increasingly popular among individuals for personal, educational, and professional use. They come in handy for learning new languages and also assist people with dyslexia and those suffering from other learning disabilities. When choosing a speech-to-text application, you must consider your requirements and your budget.
At last, we hope this article helped you get familiar with the best text-to-speech applications. Also, if there’s any other text-to-speech application that you think should be on this list, you can share its name in the comments section below.
People are also reading: