CAT full form is Common Admission Test, and it is an online (computer-based) entrance exam conducted by IIM (Indian Institute of Management) for admission in the graduate management program. The main purpose of this exam is to select students for business administration programs.
There are many IIM institutes present in India, and every year based on rotation, one of the IIMs organizes the CAT exam. Moreover, more than 2ook students apply for this exam every year. Only top-scoring students get a chance to apply for the prestigious IIMs.
CAT Full Form – What is CAT?
IIMs are among the prestigious institutes in India, and for their MBA course, they only accept CAT scores. Almost every institute which offers an MBA course accepts the CAT score. In 2011, it was announced that IITs (Indian Institute of Technology) and IISs (Indian Institute of Science) will also accept CAT scores for their management programs.
However, to get admission in IIMs, a CAT score is not enough. Selected students have to go through the rounds of group discussion and personal interview if they clear the CAT exam and are called for the next round of the admission process.
Eligibility Criteria for CAT exam
There are some criteria that students must follow to give the CAT exam.
- The student must hold a bachelor’s degree, with more than a 50% score.
- The degree should be from a recognized university.
- Final year students can also apply for the CAT exam.
CAT Exam Pattern
- It is a computer-based test.
- The exam is conducted in two sessions.
- The exam contains 100 questions, including Objective and Subjective types.
- It is for 300 marks.
- Students get 180 minutes to complete the exam.
- Three marks are given for each right answer.
- One mark is deducted for each wrong answer.
- No marks are awarded for a raw answer.
The following table provides other important information about the CAT exam:
|Sections||Subjects||Time Allotted||Number of Questions||Total Marks|
|I||Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning||60 minutes||32||96|
|II||Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension||60 minutes||34||102|
|III||Quantitative Ability||60 minutes||34||102|
|Total||180 minutes||100 questions||300 marks|
In this article, we learned that CAT full form is Common Admission Test, and it is an important exam for students aiming to enroll in business management programs in IIMs.
People are also reading: