GPRS Full Form: General Packet Radio Service
GPRS Full Form is General Packet Radio Service. It is a packet-oriented mobile data standard on the 2G and 3G cellular communication network’s global system for mobile phones. In simple word, GPRS is a system which extends the reach of mobile devices by connecting them with the Internet.
Right now, GPRS is maintained and regulated by the 3rd Generation Partnership Project (3GPP). In 2G devices, GPRS provided a data rate of 56 to 114 KB/sec and in 3G devices, it used to provide 1MB/sec to 4 MB/sec.
History of GPRS
In 2000 GPRS introduced as a packet-switched data service, which extends the reach of mobile devices and connects them with the internet, and it was a game-changer for the mobile industries.
Services Provided by GPRS
- SMS messaging.
- SMS broadcasting
- Internet Accessibility.
- Multimedia Messaging Service (MMS).
- Push to talk over Cellular devices.
- Wireless instant messaging.
- Point-to-Point Service.
- Point-to-Multiple Point Service.
Advantages of GPRS
- It provides a high data transfer speed.
- It can set point to point and point to multiple point communication.
- All the data transfer is done wireless.
- Connect Mobile devices with the internet.
- Provide services like SMS, and MMS.
|GPRS||General Packet Radio Service|
|Formed by||European Telecommunication Standards Institute|
|Used in||Cellular Devices|
People are also reading: