IELTS Full Form: International English Language Testing System
IELTS Full Form is International English Language Testing System. It is an international standardized English test conducted by the cumulative standards of British Council, IDP: IELTS Australia and Cambridge Assessment English. This test is used to check the proficiency of a non-native English language speaker if he or she applies for any institutes and immigration in countries like the USA, Australian, British, Canadian, Irish and New Zealand.
This test system was established in 1989 and is managed by the British Council, IDP: IELTS Australia and Cambridge Assessment English. IELTS considered one of the major English-Language tests across the world, though there are many other English tests such as TOEFL, TOEIC, PTE and OPI/OPIc.
Many English countries like Australia, British, Canada, Irish, USA, and New-Zealand accept IELTS, and in the USA itself, more than 3,000 academics institutes and academic professional enterprises accept only IELTS. In UK the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) authority which deals with the inside and outside visa application accept only IELTS English language test, though other countries Visa authority accepts IELTS and other English tests too.
In this, there is no minimum score required to pass the test, the result issues a “band number” to the candidate from “band 1” to “band 9”, where band 1 represents non-user and band 9 represents the expert user. Different institutes have different thresholds for the test score. If a student did not give the test his/her score would be considered as “band 0”. The score of the test is valid for only two years.
There are two versions of IELTS
- Academic Version Training: This is for those who want to study at a tertiary level in an English-speaking country or seek professional registration.
- General Version Training: This version for those who want to work, train, study at a secondary school or migrate to an English-speaking country
The main objective of IELTS to test the proficiency of non-native English speakers in English, and ranked that person from range non-user to the expert user so he or she can apply for the higher education or immigration process. Here are some characteristics of IELTS
- It tests the ability to listen, read, write and speak in English.
- In speaking there would be a one-to-one interview with an examiner.
- A variety of accents and writing style are acceptable to minimize linguistic bias.
- It provides results in band scores from 1 to 9, and 0 for those who did not give any test.
IELTS Test Structure
The complete test is divided into 4 parts:
- The Listening: 40 minutes (10 minutes’ transfer time):
- Reading: 60 minutes
- Writing: 60 minutes
- Speaking: 11–14 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours and 45 minutes.
IELTS Quick Summary
|Full-Form||International English Language Test System|
|Type||International Standardised test|
|Managed By||British Council, IDP Education, Cambridge Assessment English.|
|Score valid||2 Years|
|Number of Participant countries||More than 140|