IIT Full Form: IIT stands for Indian Institute of Technology. It is an autonomous and prestigious government institute of India which offer engineering courses on a national level. The first official IIT established on 15th September 1956, via the Indian Institute of Technology act, 1956, and by now we have 23 IITs campus all over India, where IIT Kharagpur is the oldest and IIT Dharwad is the newest IIT campus.
IIT Full Form: Indian Institute of Technology
1. Undergraduate (UG) Courses
Apart from 4 years of B.Tech. degree IIT also offers dual degree Integrating with Master of Science and Master of Arts. There are various trades in BTech and, all are of 4 years with 8 semesters and if a student opts Dual Degree and Integrated Course so he/she would need 5 years to complete the course. In all IITs, the first year of BTech and Dual Degree courses are marked by a common course structure for all the students, though in some IITs, a single department introduction related course is also included. To get UG courses in IIT’s student need to clear two Entrance Exams JEE mains and JEE Advance.
- Aerospace Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Metallurgical and Materials Engineering
- Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Instrumentation Engineering
2. Postgraduate and Master’s Degree:
IIT also offers Postgraduates programs such as MTech(Master of Technology), MBA(Master of Business Administrator), M.Des.(Master of Design) and MSc(Master of Science). To get admission for Master in Engineering programs in IIT student need to clear the GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering) exam and JAM(Joint Admission Test to MSc) exam for MS program.
Bachelor-Master Dual degree:
Some of the IIT’s also offer an Integrated BTech and MTech program for selected trades. This course is of 5 years.
- Mechanical Engineering with M. Tech. in Computer-Aided Design & Automation
- Mechanical Engineering with M. Tech. in Intelligent Manufacturing
- Chemical Engineering with M. Tech. in Process System Design & Engineering
- Civil Engineering with M. Tech. in Infrastructural Civil Engineering
- Computer Science & Engineering with M. Tech. in Information Technology
- Manufacturing Science & Engineering with M. Tech. in Industrial Engineering & Management
- Mining Engineering.
- Chemical Engineering with M. Tech. in Hydrocarbon Engineering.
- Ocean Engineering & Naval Architecture.
If we compare IIT’s with other Government Colleges, the Indian Government spent around 900-1300 million rupees on each IIT and a total of 100-200 million on other Engineering Government colleges. Apart from Government funds IIT also collects funds from student fees, research funding from industry and contribution from the alumni.
List of IITs:
|1.||IIT Kharagpur (IITKGP)||1951||West Bangal|
|2.||IIT Bombay (IITB)||1958||Maharashtra|
|3.||IIT Kanpur (IITK)||1959||Uttar Pradesh|
|4.||IIT Madras (IITM)||1959||Tamil Nadu|
|5.||IIT Delhi (IITD)||1963 (founded in 1961)||Delhi|
|6.||IIT Guwahati (IITG)||1994||Assam|
|7.||IIT Roorkee (IITR)||1847||Uttarakhand|
|10.||IIT Hyderabad||2008||Andhra Pradesh|
|14.||IIT Indore||2009||Madhya Pradesh|
|15.||IIT Mandi||2009||Himachal Pradesh|
|16.||IIT BHU||1919||Uttar Pradesh|
|17.||IIT Dhanbad||2015 (founded in 1926)||Andhra Pradesh|
|19.||IIT Tirupati||2015||Andhra Pradesh|
|20||IIT Bhilai (IITBH)||Chhattisgarh|
|21||IIT Goa (IITGOA)||2016||Goa|
|22||IIT Jammu (IITJM)||2016||Jammu and Kashmir|
|23||IIT Dharwad (IITDH)||2016||Karnataka|
People are also reading: