Developed by Rasmus Lerdorf in 1994, the full form of PHP is Hypertext Preprocessor. It was first launched in the year 1995. Earlier, PHP referred to Personal Home Page but later renamed Hypertext Preprocessor.
Although PHP is a conventional programming language, it is specifically an HTML-embedded, server-side scripting language for web development. The structure and syntax of PHP are imitated from C, C++, and Java.
PHP works with several frameworks along with HTML to create feature-rich web applications. PHP code is first devised to be embedded on the server where it is processed by a PHP interpreter. The primary intention of PHP is to give developers the freedom to create dynamic and interactive web pages.
In general, PHP facilitates back-end development and thus, it allows developers to add various functionalities to websites and web apps. Also, PHP is a quite popular scripting language. Some popular websites that use PHP include Wikipedia, Facebook, and Tumblr.
Highlights of PHP
Following are the key highlights of PHP:
- PHP is abbreviated as Hypertext Preprocessor.
- It is a server-side scripting language like ASP.
- It is a foundation for several databases like MySQL, Oracle, Sybase, Solid, PostgreSQL, and Informix.
- PHP is open-source and is completely free to download and use.
Benefits of PHP
While PHP offers a lot of advantages to developers, the following its most notable benefits:
- Free to Use: PHP is open-source and is free to use.
- Platform independent: PHP code can easily run on all major operating systems, including Windows, macOS, and Linux.
- Server Compatibility: PHP is compatible with almost all servers.
- Secure: With multiple layers of security, PHP can prevent virus threats and other malicious attacks.
- Effable and learnable: PHP has a straightforward syntax that is easy to learn and implement.
To Sum it Up
PHP is among the most popular programming languages for web development. To be specific, it is a scripting language that is ideal for server-side or back-end development. The full form of PHP is Hypertext Preprocessor, and it allows developers to create dynamic and feature-rich web applications.
People are also reading: