Penetration testing tools are beneficial for identifying any security weakness in the server, web application, or network. These tools are helpful because they offer you the capability to identify any unknown vulnerabilities in a network application or software that can result in a security gap. Penetration Testing (VAPT) and vulnerability assessment attack the system in or outside a network as if any hacker wants to attack it. If any authorized passage is possible, the order must be corrected. Therefore it is essential to have the best penetration tools for the best results possible, so let’s discuss the best penetration tools of 2020 in brief.
Best Penetration Testing Tools
This penetration testing tool is simple to handle a web application security scanner, which can automatically find XSS, SQL Injection, and other vulnerabilities in the web services. It is accessible on the on-premises as well as SAAS solutions. It always runs during internal systems to ensure the security of user’s data.
Features of Netsparker
- The minimal configuration needed because the scanner automatically recognizes URL
- REST API for integration with the SDLC
- Fully scalable solution.
- This tool is very user-friendly.
- It has a choice of workflows and integration tools.
- It has excellent customer service.
- It cannot integrate with all systems.
- This tool is costly
- User experience can be improved
Features of Acunetix
- Scans for all alternatives of XSS, SQL Injection, and 4500+ extra vulnerabilities
- This penetration tool can detect more than 1200 WordPress core and plugin vulnerabilities
- Fast & Scalable
- Available On-Premises and as the cloud solution.
- Amazing GUI technology
- Very positive support system
- Improved and the easy UI system
- Manual tools sometimes show errors in the process
- Automated Web Vulnerability scanning.
This penetration tool provides both manual and automated testing and scanning for detecting and supporting vulnerabilities, which are based on the SANS top 25 and OWASP top 10. This tool provides unlimited proof of concept requests that offer evidence of reported vulnerabilities and also helps eliminate false positive from automated scan findings.
Features of Indusface
- Crawler scans single-page applications
- Pause and resume feature
- Manual PT or automated scanner reports can be displayed on the same dashboard
- Optional WAF integration
- 24×7 support
- Reports can be provided in specific advice
- It can identify risks easily
- Issues regarding free trials of the tools
- The UI of this tool can be improved.
This penetration tool company is a provider of mobile and web application security ratings and penetration testing on the global platform. It provides an AI platform that improves human testing and also accelerates security testing through AI technology. Gartner, Forrester, and IDC recognize ImmuniWeb for rapid and DevSecOps-enabled penetration testing.
Features of ImmuniWeb
- Speedy delivery of SLA
- PCI DSS 6.5.1-6.5.11 Full Coverage
- 24/7 Access to security analysts
- Tailored Remediation Guidelines
- Zero False-Positive SLA
- Alliance with SDLC & CI/CD Tools
- Clear guidance for repairing issues.
- Fantastic and easy to use.
- Affordable or smaller companies.
- Speedy delivery of SLA
- It doesn’t consider business or website factors in context.
- This penetration tool doesn’t offer advanced pen tests.
This penetration tool is an indispensable tool in an Ethical hacker arsenal. A user has to check the target in various geographies, anonymized file transfers, simulate no personalized browsing behaviour, etc. It provides fantastic speeds with more than 2000 servers across various continents in the world.
Features of PureVPN
- 24/7 support
- 300,000+ IPs
- No Log VPN with high security and anonymity
- It supports various platforms like Mac, Linux, Windows, iPhone, Android, etc.
- It offers full features like a premium VPN.
- Great onboarding and support.
- This penetration tool provides an offer of 31 Day Money-Back Guarantee
- It has several issues in the connections sometimes
- There is no option for the free trial.
- It may Save Some Logs
The word OWASP stands for “Open Web Application Security Project”. This is a non-profit organization worldwide that focused on improving the security of software. This penetration tool has multiple features to pen test various software environments and protocols. This tool is entirely free of cost so that smaller companies can get benefits through this tool.
Features of OWASP
- Zed Attack Proxy
- OWASP Dependency-Check OWASP Web Testing Environment Project
- The OWASP testing guide provides best results in the common web application
- It is free
- It is open source
- This penetration tool is actively maintained
- It has an active community
- You can get connected and support to make it better.
- Documentation could be better
- It can’t compete with commercial tools which have various developers working on them
This penetration testing tool was known as Ethereal and it is a network analysis penetration tool. It is capable of capturing the packets in real-time to display them in the readable format. It is also known as network packet analyzer that provides every minute detail regarding the network protocol, packet information and decryption. It is an open-sourced tool that can run on the various platforms like Windows, Solaris, Linux, OS X, FreeBSD and many more,
Features of WireShark
- Offline analysis and live capture
- Rich VoIP analysis
- It supports Decryption for various protocols including IPsec, ISAKMP and WPA/WPA2
- User can apply colouring rules for fast, intuitive analysis to the packet
- Read and Write various capture file formats
- Catches all varieties of packet data in network traffic
- Restore and save captured packed data
- Show errors in levels under the HTTP protocol
- Can’t modify data on the network
- A better interface would be friendly.
This penetration testing tool is the web application audit and attack framework. It consists of three types of the plugin such as discovery, audit and attack that can communicate with each other for any type of vulnerabilities in a site. W3af adopts various URLs for testing vulnerabilities through discovery plugin and transfers it to audit plugin for further actions regarding vulnerabilities. Therefore it provides the outcome at the end of the process. It also has the capability to run as the MITM proxy and also exploits the vulnerabilities that it finds.
Features of W3af
- Proxy support
- DNS cache
- Cookie handling
- User-agent faking
- Add custom headers to requests
- It supports all python platforms
- It is not officially supported for Windows but compatible for it
- Completely flexible and modular
- The tool is not matured enough
- An expert required for the process
This penetration testing tool is one of the most advanced, as well as a popular framework used for the testing. It is based on the exploit concept that means users pass a code that breaches the security measures and enters a particular system. It is a fantastic testing tool, whether an IDS is successfully preventing any attack that we bypass it. This tool can be used for various platforms like applications, networks, and servers. It consists of a command-line and GUI clickable interface that works on Apple Mac OS X, Microsoft Windows, and Linux.
Features of Metasploit
- Primary command-line interface
- Third-party import
- Brute forcing (Manual)
- Brute-forcing (Manual)
- Simple to use.
- Many exploits are available.
- Some exploits require a little intervention to work.
- Performance can be affected sometimes
This penetration tool only works on the machine in which Linux is available. It can create recovery and a backup plan that can fulfil your needs. It supports a fast and straightforward method to update and find the biggest database of safety penetration testing group to-date. It is the most useful tool present for injecting and packet sniffing. Expertise in the networking and TCP/IP protocol can be useful while using this penetration testing tool.
Features of Kali
- Extension of 64-bit support provides a brute force password cracking
- BackTrack comes with the pre-loaded tools for LAN and WLAN Vulnerability scanning, sniffing, password cracking, and digital forensics
- BackTrack combines with any helpful tools like Wireshark and Metasploit.
- BackTrack supports Gnome and KDE.
- There are almost 600 + superexcellent penetration testing tools already preloaded.
- This tool is entirely free and offers lifetime service to the users.
- This tool is an openly sourced system that can be obtained by users.
- It supports various languages.
- It makes the system a bit slower.
- The system can get quickly corrupted.
- Some software may not be functioning well.
- KALI is not as simple to use, and it is penetration oriented.
As we have discussed, there are various tools available for penetration testing so that these penetration testing tools can fulfil your needs in a very convenient way. Every data penetration tool has some features, pros, and cons, so select the right tool that can help you to gain the best result possible. If you know any other penetration testing tools which is used by the industry people or then let us know via below given comment section.
You might be also interested in: