Python is the versatile programming language and over past years it has gained too much popularity among the Computer Science and Developers community. In 2020 Python has become the most popular High-Level Programming language and everyday new developers are associating with python and Organizations moving their project to Python itself. Python is created by Guido van Rossum and first released in 1991, and it’s designed for programmers to write an elegant, clear and logical program with fewer lines of code.
Python is a Cross-Platform programming language so it is available for most of the Popular Operating systems, however, you need to install the Python executable file or python interpreter for your OS if you want to execute a python file. By default, the latest version of Mac OS comes with pre-installed Python and even the latest Linux Distro also provides pre-installed python, but for Windows Operating systems you need to install python according to your window Version.
Here in this article, we have only covered the steps, how can you install Python 3 on your Window 10 Operating System. There are two major series of Python, Python 3.x and Python 2.x in 2019 python Developer community retired python 2 and does not provide any update for it, that’s why Python 2 is out of the picture in python community.
Prerequisites to Download Python 3 version in Window 10
- Valid Window 10 Home or Professional Edition.
- Command Prompt.
- Internet Connection.
- A browser.
1. Download Python 3 Executable File
It’s very easy to install python in Windows especially in window 10, here you just need to install a Python Executable Installer .exe file and you are good to go. Follow these steps to download the Python3.
2. Download the Python Executable Installer
- Open your Web Browser and Visit the Official Python website Or Just Click here.
- Though you can download the latest version of Python 3, however python also provides you with options and download features for the old versions of python, but we suggest you download the latest version.
- However, you do not need to select the specific Python and Bit version for your system, you just need to click the first download link and the browser will download the compatible and latest version of python for your system.
- The latest version of Python is Python 3.8.2 and its size around 25 MB.
3. Run the Python Executable Installer:
- Once you have downloaded the Python Installer now you need to run it.
- Double Click on the downloaded file and the installation process will start.
- When you run the Python Executable installer it will give you two option Install Now and Customize Installation, we suggest you click on the Install now button and click on both the checkboxes Install Launcher and Add python 3 to PATH, this will finish the installation process and your Python will be residing at location C:\Users\User_Name\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python38-32.
- But if you click on the Customize Installation you can change the path of your python file.
4. Verify the Python
- You can either visit the location C:\Users\User_Name\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python38-32 or Use the command prompt to check whether the python has been installed on your system or not.
- Open your Command Prompt and type python and hit enter.
- If the command prompt show you the version of Python with a >>> symbol that’s mean you have successfully installed python on your system, if not then again go through the above steps.
Note: If you have installed the latest version of python, then you get a Python default IDEL IDE, you can go to the window search bar and search for IDEL.
5. Python PIP
With the latest version of python, you get PIP by default but if you use the Python 3.4 or older version then you need to install Python PIP separately, click here to know how to install Python PIP.
- To verify the PIP, you need to open your command prompt.
- To open command prompt you can either search for it on your window search bar or can type “cmd” on the run command.
- Once the Command Prompt window is on type pip –version and it will show you the current version of your PIP.
NOTE: PIP is used to install the libraries for python using the command line.
Install Python Virtual Environment
This is completely optional, but if you want to work as a professional you do require to install a python virtual environment. Python has a package known as virtualenv which is used to create a virtual environment for a project.
Why use Virtual Environment?
When we create a Project and want to isolate it with some specific python libraries and packages, so even after a year if there is an update in those python packages and libraries this project works fine on the old version.
to install the python virtual environment, we use the pip command, open you command prompt and write this command.
pip install virtualenv
If you are a beginner to the Python, we suggest you download the latest version of python, and its completely on you whether you want to Install the python virtual environment or not. Once you have installed the python3 on your window 10 we recommend you install a python IDE or text editor to write the code.
You might be also interested in:
- Basic Linux Commands
- Linux vs Windows: Head to Head Comparison
- How to Install Kali Linux?
- Types of Operating System
- Best Unix Interview Questions
- Difference between System Software and Application Software
- Difference between Desktop Applications vs Web Applications
- Best Web Browsers
- Difference between Linux vs Unix