Information is something which needs to be managed well and a specific requirement of every company out there. In order to manage the same, the enterprise is requested to know its needs regarding information, acquire them, organize the same, check the quality and sources because the reliability of same matters for sure and the last comes making such information acquired to make available out there for the ones who might need it.
What is DBMS?
Database management system herein is like a record keeper, every data gets stored and retrieved from this place. They have well-managed files and are easier to use. The system also helps a person or a company out there to add a new file or delete the same, insert or edit the data in existing ones and also retrieve data at times of needs from them. Some of the famous Database management systems out there are Oracle, SQL servers, DB2, etc.
When it comes to database and the hierarchy of same there is a database which is collection of files, then comes a file which is a collection of records, then comes record which is nothing more than collection of fields, fields which is collection of characters and characters are what can be called as collections of Bits.
Types of Data Base
There are some database models which are famous out there. They are as follows:
- Hierarchical Database System– therein the records get organized out in the hierarchy of relationships. They are arranged in an inverted tree pattern. The best example for the same is an equipment database wherein there are building records, room records, equipment records and also repaid records. The hierarchy records are also known as nodes which in turn is related to others just like a parent-child relationship, just to say every parent might have more than one child but every child will not have many parents. Herein the parent record is called as the root record and they work all in the hierarchy.
- Network database system– therein the data differ from that of the hierarchical model and there are more than one nodes. They are the best structure to show something which has a relationship of many to one or many to many relationships. Herein a child can have more than one parent node and are best used in a repair vendor or any such areas out there. It allows connection of also one to one relationships and allows to create owner records without a member one.
- Relational database model– they are a mixture of both hierarchy and also network-based database system. They allow one data to be processed one record at a time. They have 3 main terms which are relations, attributes and also domains. The same network revolves around these 3 attributes and contains multiple tables. Herein lots of rules are also required to be followed.
- Object-Oriented Data Base model– they help programmers create objects in a programming language which behaves like a working object. Herein all object function independently of each other and are assigned with a specific task or some roles to perform.
Advantages of Data Base Management system
There are varied advantages and role that a Data Base Management system plays in a company or an individual business. Some of them are mentioned below
- Data sharing- data once stored can be used by anyone who got access to such a Data Base Management system. All they need is to specify their login ID and password and things get simple. A person is allowed to login and retrieves data as per their need.
- Minimization of Data redundancy- the same gets minimized or reduced and are also controlled so that no such issues arise. This reduction will decrease the cost of storage for the company and will make proper use of same.
- Integrity- the data is consistent and reliable as the sources are checked beforehand so that no such issues arise as regards the same. the data is also kept up to date and is always tried to be mistake free so that the issues don’t arise as regards the same.
- Consistency of information and file- there is a standard format of keeping data. This, in turn, will get the work consistent because the same type of rule, format, etc are followed everywhere. Multiple programmers can use such data without an issue.
- User-friendly- the data stored is user-friendly as the access is simple and the user can be easily get satisfied by the data they get.
- Security- as the data is stored at one place security concerns for varied places are never a concern and a person or a company just need to use security system at one place for the sensitive data stored out there. There will also be ID and passwords for everyone out there so that no unauthorized access can be made, etc.
Just like many advantages, there is also some disadvantage for Data Base Management system. They are mainly 2 concerns as regards the same which are discussed below:
- Cost- to maintain such huge database a lot of cloud space is needed on the network which will definitely be costly for sure and will add up to the expense of company every month as a fixed cost.
- Security- the same is another concern because the same is used just at one place and any issue with same will lead to unwanted use of data. This can be very risky for huge companies whose data are very valuable to them and are not meant to be leaked out before time.
So, this is how a database functions with so many advantages and disadvantages out there which makes it more and more usable. This system has really made our life easier and will continue doing same if it used in a proper manner and is able to provide its services out there within and outside the organization to help people and all its users who rely on same to get better records and data.
People Also Looking For: