Now it’s no longer conventional, only Mobile devices and computers can access the internet, with the emerging technology, now every device is being smart and the first condition of being smart is they should know how to communicate and generate data.
IoT which is an acronym of Internet of Things is a revolution in which now devices can communicate with each other without direct human interaction. Here in this article, we have mentioned what is IoT and what’s its future and usages.
What is IoT?
IoT stands for Internet of Things, by its name itself you can relate it with the internet and it is related to the internet.
If we look at the technical explanation of IoT it says “IoT is a system in which devices have their own Unique Identifiers (UIDs) and connected to each other through the internet, here the interesting fact is all the devices could transfer data over a network without direct human interaction”.
It may sound confusing how can something transfer data without human interaction, but when you use the IoT application you understand the direct human approach is just extra work for IoT. In our day to day life we encounter many IoT application such as self-driving cars, Smart house appliances, smart mobiles, sensor camera, etc, these all things can transfer and receive data.
As we know that IoT is mostly about communication and data transfer, which can make devices smart. In this era, data is one of the most valuable assets for any company because it increases its profit by selecting the target audience.
In our homes, we use many smart appliances such as smart tv, smart AC, home assistance which makes our life easier and more convenient and all these are because of IoT. Somewhere your home assistance (Amazon Alexa, Google Assistance) linked to the internet and they are continuously generating data and that data is money for the business.
Right now, IoT is working on a small scale in many countries and limited to some applications, but many developed countries like Japan, UK, and USA use IoT on a very large scale and one of its examples is Smart City, a complete city which is linked to the Internet.
The future of IoT is very bright and the technology as automation and Machine learning are just boosting it. Now IoT is more than a concept it has a large industry supporting it because it holds a lot of potentials, as future is all about more and more communication and data, IoT will play a significant role in it.
Working of IoT
IoT has a specific architecture which it follows to perform all the tasks. As we know that IoT is a technology which is capable of gathering the data using different devices and interpret that data to perform suitable tasks but the interpretation of data is done somewhere else.
IoT follows four steps to perform its task these steps include:
- Sensor or Actuator to collect data: All IoT devices contain sensor or actuators so they could collect data without any human intervention.
- Data Acquisition: Once the data is collected by the device it gets converted into a signal so it could be transferred for further interpretation and analyzation.
- Edge Analytics: When data is converted into digital form before it transfers to the main centre it gets checked by the Edge analytics.
- Cloud Analytics: At last, data is collected by the Cloud and here all the useful information is extracted from the data.
Applications of IoT
IoT has many applications and every day it creating many new applications here are some of the most important and life-changing applications of the IoT.
- IoT wearable gadgets such as smartwatches.
- Smart home appliances
- Smart City
- Amazon Go a smart shop
- Smart Grids
- Smart Farming
IoT Advantages & Disadvantages
Though IoT is providing a lot of features which is making our life so easy but like other techs, it has some advantages and disadvantages.
- It is very efficient
- Helps us to get more information
- With its help, we can communicate with other devices
- Give us wireless connectivity and help to automate the devices
- Over-dependence on technology can affect social life
- Compromising with the privacy
- The decrement in human resource employment.
People Also Read: