What is Nodejs?
Features of Nodejs:
- JS APIs are asynchronous in nature, which means a nodejs server never waits for an API to return data, it just moves after calling for data.
- It executes code very fast.
- It uses the single-threaded model.
- It sent data in chucks, so no buffering problems.
- Created and supported by Google.
10 Top NodeJS Frameworks:
A framework is a collection of different modules, pre-written code, libraries and other components that are used to build dynamic web-applications. The concept of frameworks comes in play, when we do not want to create an application from starch, we simply use a framework and with the help of its component create an application.
3 Main Categories of Nodejs Frameworks.
- js MVC Frameworks
- js REST API Frameworks
- js Full-Stack Frameworks.
- GitHub stars: 46,797
- MVC (Sinatra-like) based framework
Express if the most popular, fast and Model-View-Controller(MVC) based framework with the highest number of GitHub stars. It has numerous amount of libraries and components which sync along Nodejs to create beautiful and powerful dynamic web applications.
Express is not only limited to web-applications, but it is also capable of building mobile-based web-applications that are in trend these days. It is also capable of building and surfing API for a web-page. It provides all the HTTP utility methods, functions and middleware which help developers to write robust APIs.
Some Features of Express:
- With Express we can build single as well as multi-page web applications.
- It follows MVC architecture, which makes the implementation of application easy.
- It can set up middleware’s which allow a developer to respond to an HTTP request
- It contains set routing libraries, which work according to the HTTP requests.
- It is capable of writing robust API’s
- 41,509 GitHub Stars
- Full-Stack Framework
Meteor is the full-stack framework that can be used to create real-time web and mobile applications. It is a cross-platform framework, so it is compatible with iOS, Android, and desktop. One of the main features of Meter is it can be integrated with other popular technologies such as front end frameworks and Database which includes React, Vue, Angular, MongoDB, etc.
Some main features of Meteor:
- It can build web applications for any device.
- It can integrate with top 3 front-end web frameworks such as Angular, React and Vue
- It can also integrate with NoSQL such as MongoDB
- It is lightweight.
- It contains many libraries which a developer can use to build dynamic web applications.
- Growing community
- Best framework for a full-stack developer.
- It has well-organized documentation.
- 28,232 GitHub Stars
- MVC (Sinatra-Like) Architecture framework
Koa could be termed as the extension of Express framework, it an MVC based framework designed and developed by the Express team. The main purposed of creating Koa, to design a framework that is lightweight than Express and develop web-applications & API more effectively.
Though it contains fewer libraries and components as compared to Express, it has many new features that are not even released by some of the popular web-browser, and as a direct comparison with Express framework, the error handling capability of Koa is far better.
Some main Features of Koa.js:
- It includes many new and exclusive features.
- It leverages the Asynchronous function which helps to ditch the callbacks.
- It has better error handling capability as compared to other frameworks.
- It comes with some general inbuilt tasks such as freshness of cache, content negotiation, proxy-support, etc.
- It has syn/await keyword which manages the code for you and keeps it clean.
- 21,087 GitHub stars
- MVC (Rails-like Architecture) Frameworks
Sails are similar to the Express framework, yet many developers and sails itself boast that it is better than Express, because it contains many features which express does not have. If we consider features as the standard to compare sails and express, here Sails hold more potential and features than Express.
Sail is a lightweight framework that is faster than express and its integration with various popular backend as well as frontend tools makes it one of the best Nodejs frameworks.
Sails provide ORM which helps it to integrate with any type of databases such as MySQL, MongoDB, PostgreSQL, Redis, and local disk.
Some main Features of Sails.js
- It supports auto-generated REST API’s
- You can be easily integrated with Web Sockets
- Its ORM (Object Relational Mapping) helps to integrate with any database
- It can also be integrated with any front-end technology.
- Like an express, it can also handle any type of HTTP request.
- 22,912 GitHub Stars
- REST API frameworks
Nest.js also provide a Command-line Interface (CLI) which helps developers to integrate other frontend tools with it.
Some features of Nest.js:
- It includes many programming paradigms such as FP, OOP, and FRP which make it more scalable.
- It provides a modular approach where libraries are arranged in proper modules.
- js is perfectly compatible with the Angular.js framework because both the frameworks use Typescript as a programming language.
- It also uses some of the Express features
- Its Command-Line Interface helps the developer to integrate it with different tools.
- 11,933 GitHub Stars
- MVC frameworks (Sinatra-like)
Hapi is a powerful and robust nodejs framework developed by Eran Hammer in 2011 at Walmart, with hapi we can build robust API’s, and server-side scripting applications. It helps to transfer data between server and client with the help of API’s and it is also known as the Server framework.
It is similar to Express with fewer features, some developers suggest hapi as the perfect substitute of Express, yet it does not have huge community support.
Some main Features of hapi:
- It gives proper control for requesting handling.
- It can write robust APIs.
- It does not use middleware.
- It has in-built features like caching, authentication and input validation
- It can be integrated with other tools.
- Support various types of Databases.
- For real-time applications, Hapi is one of the best nodejs frameworks.
- 12,990 GitHub Stars
- REST API frameworks
LookBack is an open-source Rest API nodejs framework that can be used to create powerful and Dynamic REST API’s. It also has an easy to use Command Line Interface which helps to integrate it with other front-end technology.
As it can be used to write REST APIs, and it also supports integration with different kinds of databases such as Relational and NoSQL which includes MySQL, Oracle, MongoDB, Postgres, etc.
Some main features of LoopBack:
- Help to write API’s with less code
- Support different kinds of Databases.
- Allow developers to create SDKs and API Documentations.
- 4,465 GitHub Stars
- Full-stack frameworks
It is a full-stack nodejs framework that is capable of building Morden web-applications. Derby is an ideal framework for building desktop as well as mobile web-application, yet it has a small community but in 2019 it has shown great potential.
It provides many features and some of its best features are data synchronization, real-time concurrency, API, developing dynamic webpages, etc.
Some main Features of Derby.js:
- It can integrate with Derby Racer.
- Darby Racer is a data synchronization engine that synchronizes data between browser and server.
- With the derby, we can do bi-directional scripting, in which we can deal with both the component’s server as well as the client-side.
- It composed many standard nodejs modules
- 4,027 GitHub stars
- MVC frameworks
It is an MVC based framework that is used to create web-applications, real-time applications, and REST APIs. It was released in 2013 and the main goal of designing total was, create a framework which is complex, stable and without dependencies.
It contains many libraries, packages and other components that are completely written in total.js itself.
Some main Features of Total.js:
- Can be integrated with Powerful NoSQL database
- Follow MVC architecture.
- Provide WebSockets for real-time applications
- Include many UI components
- Support SMTP mail sender protocol
- Open-source framework.
- 11,839 GitHub stars
- Full-Stack Frameworks
Here mean is an acronym that stands for Mongo, Angular 6, Express, and Node, all of these 4 tools are the trending technology of 2020.
- Express (sometimes referred to as Express.js): Back-end web application framework running on top of Nodejs
Some main features Mean.io:
- It is a combination of the top most technologies.
- It contains both the front-end as well as the backend technology
- With NoSQL, it also provides cloud computing
Which Framework to learn in 2020?
The framework market is not stable, no one can predict what would the future of these frameworks, unlike a programming language, we replace the old framework with the new ones. So keep in mind, when you learn a framework, always ready to switch from one to another.
Do not fall for the most GitHub star, choose that one which shows great potential or which is suitable for your project.
Mostly all the above node frameworks are used to serve the same purpose, we suggest you choose that framework which is easy to learn and can be integrated with Morden treading tools such as NoSQL, Angular, etc.
We hope with this article you got an idea which framework you can opt for your project and if you have any suggestions related to this article you can shear your feedback by filling the comment box down below.
You may also be interested in: