Data science is one of the most popular careers in the IT industry. As companies are becoming increasingly dependent on data, they are keen to hire data experts who can interpret the data. If you want to break into this lucrative career and set yourself apart from others to get hired easily, data science certifications can be of great help.
Certifications in data science allow you to move forward since they help you build skills that are high in demand. Getting a certification in data science is also a good way for recruiters and hiring managers to verify your abilities.
In this article, we will discuss the best data science certifications offered by top institutions that will help you gain experience as a fresh grad, polish vendor-specific abilities, and enhance your knowledge of data science. But before we explain the best data science certifications, let’s take a quick look at data science and the advantages that it has to offer.
What is Data Science?
Data science is a multidisciplinary field that helps to provide insights, make predictions, and develop data-driven solutions by extracting information from structured as well as unstructured data using various scientific approaches and algorithms. It makes use of huge amounts of data to derive useful insights from statistics and computation.
Data for data science is typically gathered from a variety of sources, including e-commerce platforms, surveys, social media platforms, and web searches. Access to all such data is possible because of improved data collection technologies.
Usually, the information processed from the data aids in the development of forecasts and making informed decisions. Data science is the most discussed topic today, and it’s a popular career choice because of the numerous opportunities it has to offer.
Advantages of Data Science
1. Data science experts are in high demand
According to LinkedIn, it is among the fastest-growing jobs, with 11.5 million new employment opportunities expected by 2026.
2. Abundance of positions
There are few people who possess all of the necessary skills to become full-fledged data scientists. In comparison to other career options, data science is less saturated. As a result, data scientists are in high demand.
3. Covers several industries
Data science has a wide range of applications in various fields, including healthcare, finance, consulting, and e-commerce. Consequently, you have the option to work in a variety of industries.
4. Data scientists are highly esteemed
Companies can make better business decisions with the help of data scientists. Thus, data scientists play a key role in the progress of an organization.
5. Helps to create smart products
Machine learning has helped many technical and non-technical industries to build better products tailored precisely for better user experiences, all thanks to data science.
E-commerce websites, for example, use recommendation systems to give users suitable suggestions based on their previous purchases. Data science enables machines to comprehend human behavior and make data-driven recommendations.
10 Best Data Science Certifications
This Berkeley Executive Education course is an eight-module, ten-week series that will teach you everything you need to know about data science. This program is aimed at mid-level executive managers and individual contributors who wish to use data analysis to take their business to the next level.
The course covers basic mathematics and statistical concepts such as mean, standard deviation, graphs, histograms, and logarithmic functions. In addition, you’ll also be taught advanced topics such as predictive machine learning, advanced regression models, and forming efficient data science teams. Moreover, you will work closely with the instructor to address and resolve any questions you may have about the course.
- Connect with teachers, industry experts, and peers from all over the world at UC Berkeley Executive Education.
- Learn how to leverage Jupyter Notebook, an open-source tool for computational analysis for investigating large data sets.
- Attend live weekly preparation workshops featuring live assignment reviews to introduce any technical ideas for the next modules.
- Interviews with data-driven industry experts from prominent businesses such as Google and Uber.
- Take part in hands-on projects and go deeper into data science with two week-long sessions.
Another popular data science certification is Professional Certificate in Data Science. It is a Harvard data science certification program that will teach you the fundamentals of data science, such as machine learning. The data science certification course also discusses real-world case studies. It’ll help you get started in your data science career.
This intensive program, which spans nine courses, is one of the highest-rated online master’s programs offered on edX. At the same time, you’ll study the R programming language, statistical ideas, and data analysis techniques.
- Learn how to apply statistical principles like probability, inference, and modeling in practice.
- Know the usage of tidyverse, including ggplot2 for data visualization and dplyr for data manipulation.
- Get exposure to Unix/Linux, Git, GitHub, and RStudio, which are necessary tools for practicing data science.
- Implement machine learning algorithms and gain a thorough understanding of the subject through real-world case studies.
This course is available on Coursera and comes with 10 lessons that introduce you to various data science concepts and tools. Created by Johns Hopkins University, the course attempts to improve learners’ abilities to ask proper questions, manage data sets, make inferences, and generate visuals to present their findings.
The course includes R Programming, data processing, data analysis techniques for summarizing data, quantitative inference, regression models, machine learning, and expanding and optimizing products. You’ll also learn about the tools that data analysts and data scientists use, such as version control, markdown, Git, GitHub, and RStudio. The capstone project will be based on real-world issues and will be carried out in collaboration with government, industrial, or academic partners.
- You’ll learn the R programming language, which allows you to clean, analyze, and visualize data.
- From data collection to publication, learners get knowledge of the whole data science pipeline.
- You will be able to manage data science projects using GitHub.
- Learn to use regression models to perform regression analysis, least squares, and inference.
- Examine and manage large-scale data sets by combining both theoretical and practical knowledge of applied mathematics.
- Build models that can be processed to handle real-world problems utilizing formal techniques and abstraction methods.
This data science certification program offered by IBM is available on Coursera. It is designed to help both students and professionals prepare to pursue a career in data science. With extensive practical study, you will learn data science and machine learning topics in detail.
It is one of the best data science certifications available online and consists of nine courses that cover the fundamentals of data science. Moreover, it will help you become familiar with popular open-source data science tools and libraries, data science methodology, and Python programming.
- Learn about open-source data science tools such as Jupyter Notebook, Zeppelin, RStudio, and IBM Watson.
- Learn the fundamentals of Python, Pandas, and NumPy.
- Know how to use Python for creating databases, collecting data, and analyzing data.
- Understand the usage of Python libraries for data visualization.
- It is not necessary to have any prior programming or computer science skills to enroll in this certification.
This is a five-course series offered by the University of Michigan that will teach you how to use the Python programming language for data science. To make sense of the collected data, you’ll develop a basic understanding of Python and popular Python toolkits like pandas, matplotlib, nltk, and networkx.
Plotting, charting, data representation, machine learning, text in Python, and machine learning are among the topics that this course covers. The instructors of this course are Christopher Brooks, Kevyn Collins-Thompson, Daniel Romero, and V. G. Vinod Vydiswaran. The course is an ideal choice to become an entry-level data scientist with the help of multiple assignments, evaluations, and projects.
- Learn the fundamentals of the Python programming environment, including lambda expressions, reading, and processing CSV files, and the NumPy library.
- Learn data visualization with a focus on reporting and charting with the matplotlib toolkit.
- Get started with machine learning using Python and develop an understanding of the fundamentals of text mining and manipulation.
- Get a sense of how Python handles text structure.
- You will perform a social network analysis that will give you a thorough understanding of how things are addressed in real-life situations.
This course is an online version of UC San Diego’s master’s degree program in data science. It is spread across several months and is suitable for students and professionals looking for an immersive learning experience to delve deeper into the fundamentals of data science.
With this data science certification, you will gain a thorough understanding of mathematical and computational tools, as well as how to apply them to produce data-driven suggestions. Python for data science, probability and statistics, ML fundamentals, and big data analytics with Spark are some of the topics covered in this program.
- Learn how to acquire, clean, and analyze big data, as well as how to execute large-scale data analysis and display the results in a compelling and visually appealing manner.
- Make solid statistical conclusions from noisy data and create data models using machine learning.
- Use various tools discussed in the lectures to visualize complex data.
- Use Apache Spark to examine data that is too large to fit in a single computer’s memory.
- Hands-on assignments and projects help you to implement the concepts discussed in the video lectures.
If you’re considering a career in data science, this best-seller course is worth giving a shot. The best thing about this data science certification course is that it covers all the topics necessary to become a competent data scientist.
Each lesson discusses the ins and outs of various topics and allows you to better understand the buzzwords in the world of data science. At the end of this data science bootcamp, you’ll be able to work on real-world projects and be ready to pursue more advanced specialties.
- Understand how machine learning works mathematically.
- It covers several crucial topics such as introduction to data and data science, mathematics, statistics, Python, Tableau, advanced statistics, and machine learning.
- Support for questions and answers is accessible, and also they have a community for learners.
- Learn from world-class faculty who have built applied skill-based data science programs.
8. Data Science Master’s Degrees Online (Coursera)
If you are interested in earning a master’s degree in data science but not interested in taking multiple data science classes, this list of master’s degrees from Coursera is the ideal alternative for you. There are a variety of master’s degree data science programs to choose from, all of which are offered by top-ranked colleges around the world, including the University of Illinois and the University of Colorado Boulder.
You may become a professional data scientist by finishing one of the master’s degree programs. Also, you will be able to work in a variety of fields, including agriculture, manufacturing, finance, tech, and transport.
- Learn how to use data science to better understand the audience, gain fresh insights, and make better decisions.
- Become a data science expert and work in fields such as analytics, machine learning, and artificial intelligence.
- Discover cutting-edge tools and methodologies from world-class faculty as you learn how to generate insights from enormous datasets.
- With live online classes and self-paced learning, you can study from the comfort of your own home.
This data science certification course helps you learn how to draw meaning and insights from large data sets. You’ll discover various approaches used by genuine data scientists and machine learning practitioners in the IT industry. The course has over 100 lectures, with the majority of the topics being addressed using hands-on Python code examples.
The lecturers of this course are industry experts with years of expertise teaching data science with Python. They will help you during the course and provide answers to all your questions.
- Learn how to use TensorFlow and Keras to create artificial neural networks as well as linear and polynomial regression for making predictions.
- With the use of deep learning, learn how to identify photos, data, and sentiments.
- It covers topics like data visualization, transfer learning, sentiment analysis, multilevel models, and other fundamental data science subjects.
- At the end of the course, you’ll work on a movie recommendation system that uses item-based and user-based collaborative filtering.
- After finishing the course and completing the assignments, you will receive a data science certification.
The last entry on our list of the best data science certifications is Professional Certificate in Applied Data Science. Offered by Thayer School of Engineering, it is a good option for acquiring a professional data science certificate. It helps you learn data science concepts and developer skills that are in high demand in today’s market, such as data visualization, machine learning, risk management, and predictive analytics.
The course includes live coding sessions and application-based projects to help you grasp the fundamentals of coding in Python. Also, you will be able to take advantage of new opportunities and tackle difficulties in the field of data science right after completing the course.
- Learn how to create visualizations, develop linear and logistic regression models, and apply common machine learning algorithms.
- Receive one-on-one career coaching from a knowledgeable instructor who will not only assist you during the course but will also provide career advice.
- Offers regular live webinars and graded assignments.
- In small group sessions, get assistance from mentors to handle the problems unique to data science.
- Work on a variety of projects and, at the end of the course, create a data science portfolio to show off your abilities to potential employers.
Data science is becoming more and more popular, and there are no signs of it slowing down any time soon. So, it is the best time to make the most of it. If you enjoy playing with numbers and can’t seem to get enough of repeating calculations, equations, and other similar tasks, data science can be the ideal field for you.
This blog talks about the ten best data science certifications out there that can help you become a professional data scientist. We hope that you have found this article useful and got the best data science certification that meets your requirements. Please let us know your thoughts and suggestions in the comments.
People are also reading:
- Best Data Science Books
- Data Scientist vs Data Analyst
- Data Science vs Machine Learning
- Top Data Science Interview Questions
- Data Science vs Data Mining
- Top Data Science Tools
- Top Data Science Skills
- Data Science for Beginners
- Cyber Security Certifications for Beginners
- Azure Certifications You Should Check