Java is one of the most popular programming languages that allow you to create a wide variety of web apps, ranging from fairly basic to feature-rich applications. The applications developed with Java can manage heavy loads without compromising functionality or performance. However, Java apps come with certain risks, such as excessive garbage collection and out-of-memory errors. The solution is simple, Java testing tools. In general, the most significant reason behind the stability and smooth functioning of most Java applications out there is that they undergo rigorous rounds of testing. Java testing highlights any possible bugs, anomalies, and pitfalls in back-end code that could otherwise exert functional hurdles in an application. Therefore, one is always advised to run several tests on a Java app before releasing it and continue doing so when customers are using it. This ensures the proper maintenance of the Java app so that it can perform well all the time. Let’s walk you through some of the top-rated Java testing tools that will help you ensure the optimal performance of your Java applications.
Best Java Testing Tools to Use
We'll start our list of the best Java testing tools with Arquillian. Known as an innovative and extensible automation testing solution for Java apps, Arquillian is an ideal choice for Java developers and testers. It allows hassle-free creation and setting up of integration, acceptance, and functional tests for Java apps. It can independently manage the lifecycle of containers and dependent classes, bundle test cases, and much more. The efficient process of bug tracking assists you in developing bug-free Java applications.
Top Features of Arquillian
- It can deploy archives into containers.
- Arquillian eases the whole process of test execution, result capturing, and report creation.
- The Java testing tool supports integration with JUnit.
- It can also run Ant and Maven test plugins.
- It is IDE-friendly.
- Arquillian provides case path control.
- It can detect and rectify anomalies in the server.
The platform can be easily adopted by novice testers. Also, Arquillian can flexibly integrate with well-known tools. Additionally, it comes with endless facilities to explore and implement Java testing. The platform is an extensible solution for Java testing and has very few limitations.
Specifically designed for Java testing, TestNG takes inspiration from JUnit and NUnit . It is a powerful and robust solution for automated Java testing that helps programmers to develop robust and high-performance Java applications. TestNG can run tests in massive thread pools with different policies. It is developed with flexible test configurations to ensure optimum and scalable testing. The platform also provides support for data-driven testing for different parameters. The ability to favor grouping and sequencing has made TestNG a popular Java testing tool among professional software testers and analysts.
Top Features of TestNG
- It is equipped with various before and after annotation options.
- It can execute the color parametrization of tests.
- TestNG supports data-driven testing.
- It has an open-source API.
- The Java testing tool ensures smooth multi-thread execution.
- TestNG comes with advanced reporting capability.
- It comes equipped with default JDK functions for runtime and logging with no dependencies.
TestNG makes parallel testing an easy drill and doesn’t propose any stringent limitations. It offers three major advantages:
- Easy to leverage annotations.
- Seamless grouping of test cases.
- Support for parallel testing.
The platform supports the integration of various tools as well as plugins, namely Maven, IDEA, Eclipse, IntelliJ, NetBeans, and so on.
Being one of the most popular Java testing tools, JUnit is efficient and reliable. It has significant utility in the development of test-driven frameworks. It is a part of the family of unit testing frameworks collectively known as xUnit.
Top Features of JUnit
- The platform is linked as a JAR file at compile time.
- It allows you to write redundant tests.
- It supports numerous IDEs.
- JUnit allows you to perform unit as well as integration testing of Java apps.
- It is an open-source tool.
- JUnit comes with simple and adaptable usage points.
- It helps to organize tests into test suites having test cases as well as other test suites.
- The Java test tool offers precise exception handling.
- JUnit supports nested test classes.
- It offers backward compatibility.
- It provides results in a unique progress bar. The green color indicates that the test is running smoothly, whereas the red color indicates the failure of the test.
The latest version available is JUnit5.
An open-source Java testing tool, Mockito is available for use under the MIT license. It lets programmers and professional developers create and test double objects for test-driven development (TDD) or behavior-driven development (BDD). Also, it supports complete automation in Java testing.
Top Features of Mockito
- It comes equipped with a simple API.
- The Java testing tool generates readable tests.
- Comprehensible documentation is available.
- Mockito assists you with the creation of independent, robust, and stable tests.
- It provides faster and better test results.
- It mitigates outside dependencies throughout the testing process.
- Mockito can help identify the behavior or nature of a system under test or SUT.
Mockito also removes the expect-run-verify pattern with the aid of eliminating expectations specification. This brings a major change in the testing process and allows rapid and easy modifications.
Let’s take our discussion of the best Java testing tools forward with JWalk, which is a unit testing toolkit for the Java programming language. It is specifically designed and programmed to provide support for a testing paradigm known as lazy systematic unit testing . JWalk is a smart solution for Java testing, and it can practically perform various tests on any compiled Java class provided by the programmer.
Top Features of JWalk
- It can test conformance to lazy specification.
- It can run static as well as dynamic analyses.
- JWalk enables programmers and developers to retest the modified code frequently.
Another great tool for Java testing is FitNesse. It comes equipped with some great and valuable features. The Java testing tool is ideal for professional as well as beginner programmers. The tool can be accessed under the CPL license.
Top Features of FitNesse
- It is a reliable and valuable Java testing tool.
- FitNesse provides quick results.
- It can predict feature feedback early and frequently in the project.
- All tests are deterministic.
- It is easy and quick to set up.
- FitNesse also provides acceptance and requirements testing.
- It can interpret the Wiki page.
TagUnit is another popular Java testing tool. It is equipped with test cases, test suites, and assertion-type written tests. TagUnit is a tag library for getting custom tags within JSP pages. It allows the user to perform assertions on the content generated by custom tags. Additionally, it can also check whether the tag handler is loadable or not.
Top Features of TagUnit
- It allows performing unit testing on JSP custom tags inside the container.
- The Java testing tool makes it easy to test Java Servlets and JSP pages.
- It can automatically perform tests in a 4-line JSP page.
8. The Grinder
We'll wrap up our list of the best Java testing tools and frameworks with The Grinder. It is a Java load testing framework that enables programmers and developers to easily run tests on Java apps using injector machines. Moreover, it can practically work with anything that is equipped with Java API, such as HTTP web servers, REST web services, SOAP, and so on.
Top Features of The Grinder
- The Java testing platform is distributed under a BSD license.
- It depends on products such as HTTPClient, Jython, and Clojure.
- The platform is compatible with any operating system that supports J2SE 1.4 and above.
- It can simulate web browsers that support HTTP and HTTPS .
- It can also assist in the testing of web service protocols such as XML-RPC and SOAP.
- You can test the database with JDBC.
- It allows running tests from systems based on MOM and RPC leveraging protocols such as RMI/JRMP and JMS.
The in-built GUI console allows multiple load injectors to be controlled and monitored along with automatic management of user connections, cookies, SSL connection, throttling, proxy ware, and more.
Programmers and expert software analysts often prefer professional Java testing tools to make sure that they develop Java applications with minimal bugs. Also, the testing process aims to highlight bugs within apps so that they can be fixed at the earliest. The whole process is always end-to-end managed, and optimally executed with the aid of automation testing tools.
People are also reading:
- How to open a file using Java FileReader?
- Best Automation Testing Tools
- How to determine the Java version from Program?
- What is White Box Testing?
- How to use static imports in Java?
- Best Secure Coding Practices in Java
- Current date using Calendar and Date in Java
- How to format Java date using SimpleDateFormat?
- Generics Example in Java
- Populate predefined static data in HashMap (Map) in Java