Automation Testing refers to the use of various automation tools for executing any test case. It is opposite to manual testing, which is performed by a worker and executes the test steps carefully. Automation software also requires test data in the system in a test, then compares the expected data with actual data and creates detailed test results. However, it requires significant investments of resources and money.
A successive development cycle will need the execution of the same test suite frequently. It is possible to record a test suite and then replay it according to the requirement. After the successful automation of the test suite, then no human interference is needed. The primary aim of automation is to decrease test cases to be operated manually and not to reduce Manual Testing collectively.
Importance of Automation Testing
There are various reasons which prove that automation testing is essential in the modern era:
- It isn't easy to test for multilingual websites manually
- Human interventions are not needed in automation testing.
- Time and money consumption is higher in manual testing due to its field and negative situations.
- Automation testing can increase the speed of the test execution.
- Manual testing is tedious as compared to automation testing.
- Automation testing helps improve Test Coverage
Process of Automation Testing
The automation testing process consists of 5 significant steps, so let's discuss these steps in brief.
Selection of testing tools
The selection of testing tools mainly relies upon the specific technology on which the application is created. For example, QTP doesn't support any Informatica. Thus QTP can't be applied for the application of testing Informatica. It can be a fantastic idea to carry a concept of tool selection in automation testing.
Defining automation scope
Defining automation scope refers to the administration of the Application Under the test, which will be automated. There is a specific ways to determine the automation scope, and they are:
- Various features are essential for the business
- Situations that consist of a high amount of data
- Basic functionalities over applications
- Technical practicability
- The area by which business segments are reused
- Test cases complexity
- Capability for using the corresponding test cases for a cross-browser testing
Planning, Design, and Developing
You have to create various Automation strategies, so this phase contains multiple aspects, and they are:
- Selection of automation tools
- Design and feature of the framework
- In and out scope items in automation
- Testbed preparation of automation
- Program and Timeline of execution and scripting
- Deliverables about Automation Testing
Execution of Automation Scripts occurs in this phase, and these scripts require input test data before operating them in the process. They provide complete test reports after the successful execution. The execution process is performed by automation tools or test management tools that summon the automation tool.
It is essential to have a maintenance process due to the added functionalities in the test. As we know that tests with progressive cycles and automation scripts are required to be attached, reviewed, and maintained for every release cycle. HENCE management is an essential aspect of improving Automation Scripts.
Benefits of Automation Testing
There are various benefits of automation testing so let's discuss them in a nutshell:
- More extensive test inclusion of use highlights
- Solid in results
- Guaranteed Consistency
- Spares Time and Cost
- Improves exactness
- Human Intervention isn't required during the execution
- Builds Efficiency
- Better speed in executing tests
- Reusable test contents
- Test frequently and completely
Types of Automation testing
There are various automation tools available, but you have to choose the right one as per the requirement of your business, so here are the details of the best automation tools available in the market:
1. Ranorex Studio
It is an automation tool that is also known as an all-in-one tool for various automating functional UI tests, data-driven tests, regression tests, and so on. Ranorex Studio has a simple-to-use click-and-go interface for automating tests for websites, computers, and mobile applications.
This automated testing tool provides end-to-end test automation in a scriptless way. It is integrated with the delivery pipeline so that you can focus on developing your app.
This automation testing tool is used for regression testing. Selenium is an open-source tool that gives playback as well as a recording facility for Testing. The Selenium IDE only recommends the Mozilla Firefox web browser.
4. QTP (MicroFocus UFT)
QTP is broadly used for regression testing. It approaches every primary software application and environment. To simplify test creation and support, it uses the idea of keyword-driven Testing.
5. Rational Functional Tester
A rational Functional Tester is an Object-Oriented automated Functional Testing tool that is able to perform automated functional, data-driven Testing, regression, and GUI testing.
Ways to choose the Best Automation Tools
There are various ways by which you can choose the best automation tools, so they are:
- Testing of Database
- Picture Testing
- Error Recovery Testing
- Scripting Language Used
- Backing for numerous testing structures
- Simple to investigate the automation programming contents
- Capacity to perceive questions in any condition
- Broad test reports and results
- Limit preparing cost of chosen tools
An automation framework consists of various guidelines, which are beneficial for:
- Maintaining flexibility in Testing
- Develops test structuring
- Least usage of code
- Less Support for code
- Increase reusability
- The training time to use the tool can be decreased
- Includes Data wherever relevant
Types of Automation Framework
There are four different types of the framework that are used in automation software testing:
- Keyword Driven Automation Framework
- Data-Driven Automation Framework
- Hybrid Automation Framework
- Modular Automation Framework
Types of automated software testing
You can automate various software testing, and they are:
- Smoke Testing
- Functional Testing
- Unit Testing
- Integration Testing
- Keyword Testing
- Regression Testing
- Black Box Testing
- Data-Driven Testing
In this article, we have provided complete information on automation testing that refers to the use of various automation tools for executing any test case. It is opposite to manual testing, which is performed by a worker and executes the test steps carefully. It is essential to have an appropriate selection of automation tools or processes to be successful in automating the process.
People are also reading: