Computers are the electronic devices which work on a given set of instructions and these instructions created by human using programming languages. In the early stages of digital computers, we used low-level programming languages that directly interact with computers and perform simple tasks like Arithmetic calculation, but now we have different types of programming languages, which are specifically used for different fields.
The primary use of Programming languages is to communicate between the user and computer, so the computer can understand what users want the computer to do. These days we have various fields on which we require computers, and for each field, we have different types of programming languages, though some programming languages can be used for multi-purpose, yet we do not use a single programming language for every field.
What is Programming Language and how it is related to coding?
Computers do not understand human language, they only understand machine language or binary language, in a nutshell, we can say that a computer can only understand 1 or 0, and using these two numbers we design programs, software, and applications.
A programming language is a method or a way of communication, so a human can give instructions to the computer and the computer can interpret that instruction and perform the task. In early stages of Computers, we only used to design simple programs which could be easily implemented using Machine language, 0 and 1, but now we have complex algorithms and using machine language to implement these algorithms is nearly impossible, so we have high-level languages such as C++, Java, Python, etc, which can easily implement these algorithms.
When we use programming languages to implement an algorithm or to create programs, models, applications, and software we usually term that process as coding or programming. Each programming language has its own set of syntax, which separates it from other programming languages, though we have some programming languages which share the same syntax because they are descended from the same programming language.
Coding and programming are an integral part of Programming languages, coding mean writing a set of instruction using a programming language so the computer can read the instruction.
Types of Programming Languages
There are three types of programming languages.
- Low-Level Programming languages
- Assembly Language
- High-Level Programming Languages
Low-Level Programming language
A low-level programming language directly deals with the computer hardware, and it’s present in the form of Machine or binary language. We can say a low-level programming language is a native language for machines and computers.
Assembly language is similar to Low-Level language which is used for CPU processors. Unlike a Low-level language Assembly language support for characters, which help it to give the name to the processors.
High-Level languages are the most legible programming language, mostly all the high-level programming languages come with English syntax, which makes it easy for a developer or programmer to code on it.
|True BASIC||Visual BASIC||GW BASIC|
Uses of Programming Languages
- The basic use of programming language to communicate with a computer.
- We can create different web pages using programming languages, all these famous websites such as google.com, amazon.com, facebook.com built using programming languages.
- Programming languages also used to create games.
- All the applications we use on our mobile phone are built using programming languages.
- Now we use Programming Languages to create artificial intelligence.
You may also Interested In:
- What is Programming?
- What is Procedural Programming?
- What is Functional Programming?
- What is Structure Programming?
- How to Learn Computer Science Programming?
- Top 20 Programming Languages to Learn
- Top 10 Programming Books
- Classification of Computers
- Difference between Union vs Structure
- Difference between Call by Value and Call by Reference
- Difference between Stack and Heap
- Difference between Float vs Double