If you are starting an online business or launching a website, then you must have a domain name. A domain name will not only allow people to access your website but also helps to recognize your brand. So, it’s essential to register a domain name to make your website live. Having a relevant and catchy domain name will make your website more attractive and easy to remember. Registering a domain name is not a technical task and is quite straightforward. However, you need to consider several factors while choosing a suitable domain name for your website. This article will help you to understand the domain name basics, what points to consider while choosing a domain name, and how to buy a domain. So, let’s get started by discussing the basic concept of the domain name and its extensions.
What is Domain Name?
Every website is recognized by its IP address on the internet. But it is difficult for people to remember the complex IP address of every website, which is usually a combination of numbers separated by (.). Thus, there is a need for having a name that is easily understandable and memorable for humans, and this is where the need for a domain name becomes apparent. Individuals can easily type the domain name of the website to access it from anywhere and anytime. The domain name system (DNS) helps in translating the IP address of a website into a domain. The IP address works as the GPS coordinates for your website while the domain name allows users to access the website through a browser. Every time a user enters the domain name in the browser, it will get translated by the DNS server into an IP address that points to a specific website on the network. Then the server that hosts the website will get the client request to load the website data and display it on the browser. A domain name comes in two parts that are separated by a dot. The first part is the name for your website and the second part is the domain extension. You need to make sure you choose a unique and relevant domain name. Also, you can take the help of various online platforms to buy a domain name easily.
Types of Domain Names
It is estimated that over 360 million websites have been registered by 2019, which is a huge number. As doing business online is gaining more and more traction, people are buying domain names for setting up their online businesses to grow and reach a wider audience. There are various types of domain name extensions that you can go for as per your requirements. But before you choose a domain, you should know the different types of domain names that are as follows:
For any website, the domain name is the most important part that needs to be simple, easy-to-remember, and attractive to cater to a wide audience. Most people go for a second-level domain name as it provides more possibilities of having a unique name for their website. Considering the domain name or the web address, the SLD is the left part of the extension. It consists of several letters, numbers, and special characters. For example, mozilla.org.
TLD or the top-level domain is the last segment of the domain name after the final dot. You can also refer to the top-level domain as the domain extension. We have mentioned some of the most popularly used top-level domains below:
- .com: It is used for commercial purposes and is also the first TLD launched in the industry.
- .net: It stands for network and is ideal for technology organizations. But now it is widely used by large businesses in different industries.
- .edu: It stands for education and is widely used by educational universities and institutes.
- .org: It stands for organization and is majorly used by non-profit organizations.
- .gov: It stands for government and is used by several government agencies.
Apart from the above-mentioned extensions, you will get other extensions that are customizable, such as .coffee, .cheap, and many others.
Points to Consider While Choosing a Domain Name
Since the domain name is a key factor that helps in creating an online presence for your website, it should be attractive, memorable, and effective for getting user attention as much as possible. Looking for the right domain name can be challenging as you have to come up with a unique name that differs you from your competitors and is relevant to your business or brand. There are thousands of domain names available in the market and most of them are already taken. So, you need to be smart when creating and choosing the perfect domain name for your website. Here are some important things to keep in mind while choosing a domain name:
- First, understand your niche and your brand, then go for a particular domain name that describes your brand in the best way possible.
- Make sure you choose a simple but effective domain name that is easy to remember. This will help to make a huge impact on your customers or audience.
- Try to go with the generic domain name extension so that there will be no regional or geographical restriction for accessing the website worldwide. Also, this will help you to reach out to a wider audience and beat your competition.
- Make sure that you get a domain name from popular domain name registrars to avoid any legal complications.
- Make sure you keep the domain name simple; avoid using special characters and letters. This will ensure that users can search for your website without making any typing errors.
- If you already have a domain name in mind, make sure that you look for all possible alternatives to it.
- Make sure you discuss the domain name with your team and look for other domain name ideas. Also, keep the domain name length short, so that it is easy to understand and remember. Try to keep the domain name length between 6 and 14 characters.
- You can use domain name generators for creating and providing you with millions of domain name suggestions. You can simply type the keyword and you will get various relevant domain name ideas.
How to Buy a Domain Name? [Step-by-Step Process]
If you have finalized the domain name for your website, you are now ready to buy a domain name. Here, we have mentioned the necessary steps that must be followed to buy a domain name:
Go for a reliable domain registrar
If you have your domain name ready and have given second thoughts of making it official, then you need to look for an accredited registrar. There are various domain name registrars available online, such as Bluehost, GoDaddy, HostGator, and Namecheap, and they will assist you to register a domain name.
Use a domain availability checker tool
The next step is to use a domain availability checker tool. It will tell you if the domain name you are planning to buy is available or taken already by someone else. You will also get different domain name suggestions according to the provided keyword.
Purchase the domain name
Once you decide on a domain name and check its availability, you can buy it from a domain registrar’s website. Make sure you fill in the correct details while proceeding with the payment.
For any website, a relevant domain name is important as it reflects the identity of the same. You can choose the domain name of the website as per the requirement(s) of the business that will highlight the purpose of the website. You need to give extra attention while choosing the domain name and make sure to opt for a simple-yet-effective domain name that attracts the users. We have mentioned what is a domain name and how you can choose the right extensions for your domain name. Also, you can keep the above-mentioned points in mind before you buy the domain name for your website. Wish you luck!
People are also reading:
- How to Get Domain Name Information in Python?
- What is Web Hosting?
- Best Web Hosting Providers You Should Check
- Best Email Hosting Services for Business
- What is VPS Hosting?
- Best Minecraft Server Hosting
- Top 10 Password Manager Tools for Better Online Safety
- Best URL Shorteners
- Best Image Hosting Sites for Personal and Business Purposes
- Website Malware Scanning Software for Developers
Leave a Comment on this Post