The software development industry is booming at a greater pace than ever before. This industry is striving to provide high-quality, authentic, and defect-free software to customers. Every software product undergoes testing to ensure there are no bugs in it. As software testing plays a crucial role in the quality and usability of software products, the need for software testers is rising tremendously.
Software testers are responsible for testing software products to ensure that they have met the quality standards and the requirements specified by end-users and are free from defects. The role of a software tester in the software development process is very critical.
Choosing a career path in the field of software testing opens up a lot of opportunities. You can choose from a variety of job roles, such as a QA (Quality Assurance) Engineer, Test Manager, Test Engineer, Business Analyst, Test Automation Engineer, and many others.
To begin with the software testing career, you can opt for online courses to learn software testing from scratch. If you are searching for popular software testing courses, you have landed at the right place.
This article walks you through the top 10 online software testing courses that you can consider to build your career in the software testing domain. Also, some of these courses are for intermediate and expert-level testing professionals who want to boost their skills.
So, let us begin with a brief overview of software testing.
What is Software Testing?
Software testing is a process to check or verify whether a particular software product meets the quality standards and the requirements specified at the onset of the development process. It also ensures that the software product is free from defects or bugs and is ready to go live in the market.
The primary objective of software testing is to find bugs and gaps or missing requirements with respect to the actual requirements. Tested software products ensure reliability, security, and high performance, which, in turn, results in better customer satisfaction.
There are a lot of life-threatening and deadly incidents that occurred due to the failure of software. The following are some major incidents caused due to software failure:
- China Airlines Airbus A300 crashed in April 1994 due to a software bug and killed many innocent people.
- The Therac-25 radiation therapy machine in Canada malfunctioned and delivered lethal radiation doses to patients. This had resulted in the death of 3 patients.
Along with human loss, software bugs or defects could result in monetary loss. To avoid such losses, software testing is essential.
Top 10 Online Software Testing Courses
The following list consists of popular software testing courses for beginners, intermediates, and experts. We have included top software testing courses from leading course providers, including Udemy and LinkedIn.
Level: Beginner and Intermediate
Duration: 8.5 hours of on-demand videos
Instructor: Maged Koshty
This foundational-level course walks you through the basics of software testing principles and techniques. It is intended for individuals looking for foundational level certification based on the ISTQB certification program. Along with the basics of software testing and the effect of testing on the quality of software products, this course will help you pass the certification exam in the first trial.
Anyone wishing to learn the basics of software testing can pursue this course. Software testers, test analysts, test engineers, software developers, project managers, business analysts, software development managers, quality managers, and test managers can take this course.
To take this course, you should have a basic understanding of software development life cycle (SDLC) and software programming.
Through this course, you will learn:
- Software testing principles and techniques.
- The right way to design test cases that cover all the business requirements.
- Key issues that you may encounter while performing software testing on applications.
- The effect of testing on the quality of software products.
Also, you will find several practice questions and exercises that can help you crack the certification exam.
You can get this course here .
Duration: 26 hours on demand-video
Instructor: Vijay Shinde
This course provides in-depth software testing training right from its basics through advanced concepts. Also, it makes you acquainted with JIRA and Bugzilla. JIRA is a bug tracking and project management tool, while Bugzilla is a bug tracking and software testing tool.
Anyone with basic computer skills can take up this course. If you are a fresh college graduate, pursuing this course would open a lot of job opportunities in the software testing domain. Also, if you are an experienced professional in another field and want to enter the field of software testing, this course can be of great help.
- End-to-end software testing training with one live project.
- Basic to advanced software testing techniques and principles.
- Resume preparation guidance for testers.
- Test management tools, like JIRA and Bugzilla.
- Practical learning through live projects and examples.
After the end of every session, you will find practical assignments. Also, this course includes software testing interview questions, along with tips and tricks to ace software testing interviews.
You can take this course here .
Duration: 138.5 hours on-demand video
Instructor: Rahul Arora
This course is one of the best and top-rated courses on Selenium. It helps you understand the basics and key features of Selenium 3.0 and Selenium 4.0. Also, you will gain knowledge of Core Java for manual testing. This course will cover 7 live projects with several frameworks and software testing techniques.
Anyone with little or no experience in manual and automation testing can take this course. The course itself covers all the basics required to learn Selenium. Moreover, this course is ideal for manual testers who want to learn automation testing.
After completing this course, you will be able to:
- Automate any web-based application using Selenium.
- Work with various utilities, such as Ant, Maven, Jenkins, Dockers, and Grid.
- Design major frameworks from scratch, like Data driven, Keyword driven, Hybrid, and Page Object Model.
- Work on live projects and manipulate complex Xpath and CSS locators.
Along with on-demand videos, you will find several PDF files, course code, and other reference material.
Get started with the course here .
Duration: 1 hour 24 minutes (approximately)
Instructor: Mike Fine
Software Testing Frameworks is an ideal software testing course for intermediates. Mike Fine is the creator of this course. He states that the more your skills are honed and refined, the better the results of testing.
If you are seeking to add testing skills to your expertise or preparing for an ISTQB certification, this course will definitely help you. In this course, you will learn black-box testing, white-box testing, and experienced-based testing. Also, Mike Fine provides learners with a piece of advice on how to communicate with the testing process to get better results.
This course has the following sections:
- Test Techniques
In this section, you will learn everything about test cases, test plans, and test techniques. Also, it walks you through test coverage and test conditions.
- Black-Box Techniques
This section covers an overview of black-box testing, various black-box methodologies, types of black-box techniques, and why we use block-box testing.
- White-Box Techniques
You will come to know everything about white-box testing, types of white-box testing, and the reasons why we use white-box testing through this section.
- Experienced-based Techniques
This section will educate you on different experience-based methodologies, various types of experience-based testing techniques, and why we use experienced-based testing.
At the end of each of the above sections, you will find a chapter quiz.
Enroll here for the course.
Duration: 6 hours on-demand video
Instructor: Bryan Lamb
The Robot Framework is an open-source automation framework used for test automation and robotic test automation. This framework is quite easier to learn than Selenium WebDriver because the scripts are written in simple English words.
This course teaches you everything about the Robot framework, from installation and configuration on Windows and macOS to performing test automation. However, it is recommended to have basic knowledge of software testing and the ability to write manual tests to take up this course.
If you wish to perform automated tests on browsers, databases, web API services, mobile devices, and file systems, this course will surely help you.
This course will walk you through:
- An overview of the Robot framework.
- Installation and configuration of the Robot framework.
- Basics of testing API, databases, files systems, and mobile devices.
- Creation and execution of the first Selenium test automation script in minutes.
- Creation of the first Selenium WebDriver test easily and quickly.
- Execution of Robot framework automated tests in different ways, including from a Windows task scheduler, command window, batch files, and Jenkins.
- Use variables and page object patterns to create flexible and easy-to-interpret test automation scripts.
Start learning this course by signing up here .
Duration: 6 hours on-demand video
Instructor: Alex Petroski
This course educates you on using Appium and Cucumber frameworks for performing automation testing of applications on Android and iOS mobile devices. Appium is an open-source framework that allows testers to carry out automated testing on Windows, Android, and iOS devices. On the other hand, Cucumber is a software testing tool that lets users write test scripts in an easily understandable language, irrespective of technical knowledge.
Through this course, you will learn everything about Appium, from its installation to using it for testing mobile applications. Moreover, you will learn to install and use all other required tools, like Cucumber, along with Appium.
Additionally, this course will guide you on integrating your tests with the Jenkins server. It also includes two bonus lectures on setting up your project for Android apps and starting iOS test automation.
Anyone wishing to kick-start their journey in automation testing can go for this course.
You will learn how to:
- Use Appium framework with Android OS.
- Use Cucumber framework for testing projects using Selenium.
- Implement a scalable framework using Ruby and Selenium.
- Set up Jenkins server.
- Identify elements in an application using Appium inspector and Uiautomatorviewer.
- Automate any Android application using Appium.
- Work with Android real devices and emulators.
- Install all the required tools for starting automation testing.
- Use Appium gestures, such as swipe, scroll, and tap.
Get started with the course here .
Duration: 12 hours 38 minutes (approximately)
Instructor: Meaghan Lewis, Dave Westerveld, and Bryan Lamb
This is an all-in-one course for those wishing to become skilled test automation engineers. It explores the fundamentals of test automation, helps you master Selenium testing tools and frameworks, and introduces you to using Python for test automation.
This course consists of five different sub-courses, as listed below:
- Test Automation Foundation
This course walks you through the fundamentals of test automation and different implementation strategies. Also, it explains the different types of tests to use, how to choose the right testing tool, and plan and execute test automation projects. You will learn to add new tests, update old tests, and resolve failures.
- Learning Selenium
Learning Selenium introduces you to the fundamentals of Selenium, like installation and basic use cases. It teaches you to set up a test-writing framework, Selenium WebDriver, and Selenium Grid. In addition, you will learn to write the best test scripts using variables and functions and organize those test scripts into a test suite.
- Selenium Essential Training
Once you learn the fundamentals of Selenium, it is time to take your Selenium skills to the next level. This course helps you master Selenium. To begin with, it takes you through the basics of Selenium briefly and then moves on to teaching you advanced concepts.
You will learn everything about Selenium WebDriver and how to make the most out of it. Also, this course explores the mechanics of advanced locators, interacting with the components of your application, and overcoming the synchronization issues.
- Scripting for Testers
This course intends to provide you with knowledge of using scripting to solve common issues experienced in this fast-paced world of software testing. It makes you familiar with navigating and testing APIs, generating reports, exploring products with web automation tools, and generating dummy data for testing. Also, this course involves concrete examples to make you understand better.
- Robot Framework Test Automation: Level 1
Through this course, you will learn how to use the Robot framework effectively to automate software tests effortlessly. Initially, it provides you with insights into installing the Robot framework and moves on to teach you to create your first test script using the Robot framework. Later, it explores several options for running your test script, including via the Jenkins CI platform, Windows command line, and PyCharm.
Sign up here to take this course.
Level : Beginner
Duration: 4.5 hours on-demand video
Instructor: Richa Mehta
Best QA Manual Software Testing is an ultimate guide that teaches you everything about QA manual testing. It helps you learn manual testing from scratch with one live project and one live demo.
This course is ideal for beginners who are fresh graduates and want to start their journey in the field of software testing. Non-IT professionals wishing to build their careers in the IT domain can also take this course.
This course covers the following topics:
- Introduction to the roles and responsibilities of QA and its team members.
- Various methods of developing software.
- Introduction to a project that you would work on throughout the course.
- An overview of the JIRA software, its installation, and its usage in agile methodologies.
- Software requirements analysis.
- How does agile work in real-time, and how to create user stories?
- Creating test plans and test cases.
- Performing real-time testing and different approaches used while testing.
- A thorough overview of defect identification, defect logging, and defect tracking.
- Different types of software testing .
- Samples resumes and some commonly asked software testing interview questions.
Enroll here to take this course.
Level: Intermediate and Expert
Duration: 13.5 hours on-demand video
Instructor: Jose Salvatierra
This course helps you get acquainted with different types of test automation with Python. It primarily focuses on testing REST APIs and web applications. Also, it covers various technologies, including Selenium WebDriver, unittest, and Postman.
Selenium WebDriver is a tool for automated browser tests, unittest is Python’s standard library for automation testing, and Postman is for easy testing and collaboration while developing APIs.
This course is intended for software developers and professionals wishing to hone their automation testing skills.
This course will walk you through:
- The basic and advanced-level concepts of automated software testing with Python.
- Writing automated tests using Python and tools, like Postman.
- Setting up a continuous integration pipeline using Travis CI for automating your application.
- Best practices and common pitfalls while developing automated tests.
- REST API testing.
- System testing with Newman and Postman.
- Using Selenium WebDriver and Behave for browser-based acceptance testing.
Learn this course by enrolling here .
Duration: 3 hours of on-demand video
Instructor: The BA Guide | Jeremy Aschenbrenner
This course aims to provide you with skills to create test cases, track defects or bugs, and reduce them to deliver high-quality software applications. It will walk you through the fundamentals of testing processes and principles and how to use them to test software applications.
Individuals who aim to become business analysts can consider this course, as it helps them gain all the skills and credibility required to become one.
- It provides a brief overview of what exactly software testing is and its importance.
- You will learn how to test documents that track what needs to be tested and issues detected in an application. Also, test documents can be used as a guide to complete the testing process.
- The course highlights how to track and manage detected bugs, issues, and defects and fix them.
- You will get familiar with eight effective steps to ensure successful testing.
You can get started with the course here .
Becoming a skilled and proficient software tester requires you to have a solid knowledge of software testing fundamentals and the tools required to perform testing. Also, it is essential to have in-depth knowledge of handling complexities or issues encountered while performing testing.
The courses mentioned above are some of the most popular online software testing courses that can help you develop or level up your software testing skills. More interestingly, you can complete these courses at your pace from anywhere. All of them offer certification upon their completion. With a certification, you can add value to your resume and easily get hired as a software tester.
We hope the above-curated list of top online software testing courses has helped you choose the right course.
People are also reading: