Every beginner has a question that what is the difference between C and C++ and what should be the right choice to start the programming with? So here in this article, we will cover all the difference between the C and C++ and also discuss what language you should choose between C and C++.
C vs C++
Before jumping to the comparison of both the Languages, let’s discuss the individual at first place.
C is a high-level programing language which was designed by Dennis Ritchie at Bell Labs and first appeared in 1972. C follows the Procedure oriented programming approach that makes it different from the other languages which came into existence after the C language. Keywords are limited in C language and that is not enough to solve the real time problems.
C++ is the high-level programming language which is developed by Bjarne Stroustrup at Bell Labs. C++ has considered as the upgraded version of C. Apart from Procedural oriented programming C++ focused on Object-oriented programming which helps a lot to solve real-time-based problems. C++ is also popular to use for the designing of graphical applications. When we compare C++ with the C, the syntax of C is more complex than C++. C++ uses the much more human-legible code as compared to C language.
What language should beginners Choose C vs C++?
If we look to the current scenario of technology, C++ is more trending than C language. All the developers have moved to C++ now because of its growth and use in software industry. C++ contains all the elements of C and additional also there in C++. C++ gives more flexibility as compared to C. So it would be a good choice if the beginners choose to start with the C++ as the first language.
Comparison between C vs C++
|Basic Approach||High-level Language||High-level language|
|Data security||The user can interface the code so it is not that much secure.||The user cannot manipulate the code so it is highly secured.|
|Function Overloading||Does not support||Support Overloading|
|Variable definition||All variables must be defined after just the Main function.||Variable can be defined anywhere in the program.|
|Flexibility||C is less flexible||C++ is more flexible|
|Class||There is no Class concept||It supports the Class concept|
|The basic code for input and output||scanf() for Input printf() for Output||Cin>> for input Cout<< for output|
|Object Oriented concepts||It does not support object orientation||It supports Object orientation and all concept of Object-oriented programming.|
|Function inside structure||Does not support.||It supports the function inside the Structure.|
Advantages and Disadvantages of C:
- The C language is a Procedure oriented programming language which means it follows the Procedure of the Program and read the program line by line which increases the Efficiency of the C language.
- It contains total of 32 keywords with the easy syntax which helps the User to understand the program and it is very easy to learn for the Beginners.
- Portability is the other feature of C language. The output of the C language is stored in the format of .exe file which makes it more portable. Once a program wrote it can be used in any other computer system without making any changes in that.
- It is very easy to debug the problem in the C language.
- C language supports Pointer which helps the User to understand the concept of memory allocation of the data.
- As it works on the Procedural Orientation, the compiling speed of the C compiler is very fast. The C compiler can compile 1000 lines in one to two seconds.
- The C language is the building block of very famous languages such as C++, C#, Python etc.
- One of the main Advantage of C language that user can extend its libraries. The user can add their own functions to the C library.
- C is one of the languages used for development with which beginners can start their Programming Journey. Once they have done with the C language, it is easy to decide that what language they should choose for the future.
- C does not support the concept of OOPs (Object Oriented Programming).
- C does not support OOPs features such as Inheritance, Encapsulation, polymorphism etc.
- The user cannot declare two variable having the same name in one scope because C does not support the namespace concept.
- C does not support the Class, constructor & Destructor concept, and the Run Time Type Checking.
Real world application of C:
- C language is the building block of languages like C++ and C#. C language helps to develop new languages.
- Many other high-level languages are influenced by the C language.
- Due to the fast performance of the C language, this is mostly used in calculation programs.
- C language was created to script the Unix-Kernel, Microsoft Windows, and Android OS operating system.
[su_button url=”http://www.techgeekbuzz.com/python-operators/” background=”#1263c6″ size=”8″ center=”yes” radius=”round”]Python Opertors[/su_button]
Advantages and Disadvantages of C++:
- It works for both procedural and Object orientation program.
- C++ is a portable language and if written in one system, that can be run on other without making any changes in it.
- Users who choose C++ as their first programming language, it helps them to understand easily.
- This supports to run C programs on the C++ platform; we can also run the C programs.
- As it supports the Concept of OOPs so the concept like classes, inheritance, polymorphism, data abstraction, and encapsulation also includes in C++.
- C++ follows the three Paradigm that is Generic, Imperative and Object Oriented so C++ is a multi-paradigm language. Paradigm means the concept that deals with the logic, structures, and procedures of the program.
- One of the Advantages of the C++ language is that graphics programming can be done on it. The user can code for Graphical Applications.
- C++ is one of the languages out there which has a large community. Community refers to those people who are using C++ so if you stuck anywhere in the C++ you can take the help from the community through GitHub, stack overflow etc.
- When you discuss the syntax of the C++, it is very easy to understand.
- It supports the Concept of Pointer which helps the developer to understand the memory concept of the program. It gives more flexibility to the developer over the Memory.
- When Object orientated programming is used to then it increases the complexity of the program to understand.
- It performs only on the specific platform.
- If we try to execute the C++ program on other platforms such as web so it is very hard to debug the program.
- One of the major disadvantages of C++ is that it does not Support the garbage collection.
- It provides less security.
Real wold Application of C++:
- C++ helps to create the 3D games.
- A lot of Application such as Adobe Premiere, Photoshop, Google Chrome etc. use the C++ language.
- Due to the fast performance of C++ many browsers such as Chrome, Mozilla Thunderbird uses C++ scripting.
- Physical simulations, high-performance image processing, and mobile sensor applications are the real world example of C++.