But during the development of the web, the web pages were only static and not dynamic. Therefore, Netscape decided to add a scripting language to Navigator. To accomplish this goal, they followed two ways.
The first was they thought to collaborate with Sun Microsystems to embed the Java programming language, and the other was to hire Brendan Eich to embed the Scheme language. However, Netscape later decided to design a new language with the help of Brendan Eich that would have a similar syntax to Java and less like Schema.
- Dynamic Typing: There is no need to define the data type of variables while declaring explicitly.
- It gives users control to manipulate the HTML content.
- You can use it for both front-end and back-end web development.
- JS is an interpreted programming language, which makes it easy to debug.
- It improves the performance of websites or web applications by reducing the length of code.
- It can handle time and date.
- Not all HTML editors support debugging like C and C++ editors. Also, the browser does not highlight any errors. Therefore, it becomes challenging to detect the errors.
What is PHP?
PHP stands for PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor. Developed in 1995, PHP is a general-purpose, server-side scripting language, which means its code executes at the server. Though these days we have many other server-side scripting tools, more than 82% of websites are built on PHP. It is used to build web applications. No matter whether it is a small or big application, PHP can build any web application.
Rasmus Lerdorf, in 1994, started developing PHP. At the same time, he wrote several Common Gateway Interface (CGI) programs in C for his personal programming language. Later, he extended those CGIs to communicate with databases and work with web forms, and this implementation is called Personal Home Page/Forms Interpreter or PHP/FI. However, PHP/FI could only support the development of simple dynamic web applications.
Rasmus Lerdorf, in June 1995, released Personal Home Page Tools (PHP Tools) version 1.0 to improve code and speed up bug reporting. Earlier, PHP was not a programming language. Later, Rasmus continued the development and released PHP/FI 2 in November 1997. In the same year, Zeev Suraski and Andi Gutmans rewrote the parser and developed the foundation for PHP 3. They changed the language's name to the recursive acronym, PHP, which stood for Hypertext Preprocessor.
Further, in 1998, they launched PHP 3 officially. The year 2000 witnessed the release of PHP 4 powered with Zend Engine 1.0, and the year 2004 witnessed the release of PHP 5 powered with Zend Engine II.PHP 5 included improved features, such as support for object-oriented programming and various performance enhancements.
PHP version 6.0 was planned to release with Unicode support, but it was not released and the major PHP version PHP 7 was released in 2014 and 2015. Later, PHP 8 was released in 2020, which was a more improvised version and included many new features.
Features of PHP
Here are some common features of PHP:
- Object-Oriented: PHP supports the object-oriented programming paradigm from PHP 5 onwards. It supports all OOPs concepts, such as inheritance, polymorphism, abstraction, and encapsulation.
- Interpreted Language: Being an interpreted language, PHP does not require a compiler. An interpreter executes PHP code line by line.
- Case-Sensitive: PHP is partially case-sensitive. Function names are not case-sensitive but all other things are case-sensitive.
- Platform-Independent: PHP is platform-independent. You can run a set of PHP code developed on one machine on another machine, irrespective of the operating system.
- Loosely-Typed Language: You can declare variables in PHP without defining its data type.
Advantages of PHP
The following are the remarkable advantages of PHP:
- PHP is an open-source programming language.
- It is easy to learn and has a low learning curve. If you are familiar with the C language, you can easily learn PHP.
- It is used to create dynamic web pages.
- PHP has powerful library support.
- It can be integrated with relational databases, such as MySQL, PostgreSQL , and Oracle Database.
- It has excellent community support.
Disadvantages of PHP
Here are some disadvantages of PHP:
- Since it is an open-source language, PHP is not secure.
- It is not ideal for giant content-based applications.
- It does not allow you to change the core behavior of online applications.
- Using multiple PHP features may result in poor performance.
- Since PHP is a loosely-typed language, it can cause incorrect data knowledge to users.
- Interpreted Programming languages - Both languages are interpreted programming languages.
- Scripting Languages - Both are web scripting languages and can be embedded inside an HTML page.
- Object-Oriented Programming - Both programming languages follow the concept of object-oriented programming .
- Case-Sensitive - Both the programming language are case-sensitive.
|JS was created by Brendan Eich in 1995.||PHP was created by Rasmus Lerdorf in 1994.|
|JS code executes at the client-side and inside the web browser.||PHP code executes at the server, and then the response is sent back to the user.|
People are also reading: