It's no secret that individuals who are well-versed with Linux can easily get high-paying jobs in the IT industry. From enormous data centers to small development companies, Linux system administrators, or "sysadmins," are a vital workforce that maintains the software essential for a business to run smoothly and efficiently. However, for many inexperienced Linux sysadmins who are new to this field, getting a foot in the door without proof that you have sufficient knowledge about Linux might be difficult. This blog will walk you through 10 top Linux certifications that will help you develop a solid understanding of Linux to work as a professional system administrator.
What is Linux?
Linux, just like Microsoft Windows, macOS, iOS, and Android, is an open-source operating system. It enables computer hardware and software to communicate with one another and process data efficiently. Since the mid-1990s, Linux has been a part of our lives. From wristwatches to supercomputers, they can be used in several devices such as phones, laptops, PCs, and even refrigerators. Linux is highly popular among programmers as well as regular computer users.
Why Linux Certification?
Below are some of the key reasons for you to get a Linux certification:
- The majority of hiring managers are seeking certified Linux experts.
- The rise of open cloud platforms is driving up demand for Linux workers with the necessary skills.
- More and more employers are on the lookout for professional Linux specialists.
- Linux-certified professionals receive higher pay raises.
10 Best Linux Certifications and Courses
This Linux certification offered by Pluralsight is one of the top learning resources for Linux users. Designed specifically for computer science graduates and amateur programmers, this certification program will help you learn about Linux installation and configuration in detail. You'll have a thorough understanding of multiple Linux distributions, package management, software libraries, and the Linux filesystem at the end of this course. Students will also learn about various Linux features such as access control and permissions.
- It will introduce you to many popular Linux distributions such as Ubuntu, CentOS, and Lubuntu, as well as DistroWatch and the widely used Raspberry Pi platform.
- After completing this course, you would have a thorough understanding of various Linux installation strategies such as dual-boot, swap partition, and corporate installation.
- The certification course covers the basics of Linux boot loaders and introduces several graphical tools for resource and package management.
- It covers the fundamentals of kernel and user-space modules, shared libraries, partitions, filesystems, and a variety of commonly used utilities.
For realizing a professional career with Linux, you'll need to know how to use the command line. This is a fantastic course that teaches you how to use the Linux command line, also known as the terminal . Also, it will help you learn how to utilize the basic Linux terminal commands and write sophisticated C applications using standard Linux tools. Furthermore, the best thing about this Linux certification program is that it is completely free. However, to get a valid certification, you must register by paying a $49 fee.
- You will master the command line, which is the most crucial Linux and BSD system tool.
- Get exposure to Linux filesystem, memory management, process control, and some key Unix concepts.
- After finishing this course, you will be eligible to receive a valid certificate that will help you apply for Linux internships and job roles.
The Linux Foundation has released this basic course aimed at complete beginners. Also, Linux Foundation is a well-known non-profit organization with ties to Linus Torvalds (creator of Linux) himself. The course also covers numerous Linux distributions to help students select the best Linux distribution for their needs. The Linux sysadmin certification will expose you to various Linux tools and familiarize you with the responsibilities of expert sysadmins. As a matter of fact, it is a fantastic course for computer science graduates or someone who is just starting with Linux.
- This course is one of the best ways of building a solid foundation of Linux Basics and then using them to build flawless, real-world applications.
- The course is organized simply yet effectively, with new ideas taught through practical examples and an architectural standpoint.
- The full course content is available for free, with the option to pay for the certification afterward.
LPI's Linux Essentials is a fantastic certification that IT recruiters highly value. If you're new to Linux and want to learn and master it, then this course will be a wonderful choice to get started. To earn a certificate, you must pass the Linux Essentials Exam 010. Furthermore, unlike many popular Linux courses, the certification you obtain is valid for a lifetime. As a result, we strongly advise you to take a closer look at this program.
- This course talks about various Linux distros, the Linux environment, the command-line (Terminal), and typical Linux terminal commands.
- The final exam can be given in a variety of languages, including German, Dutch, Japanese, Chinese, and Brazilian.
- The certificate's lifetime duration allows students to get benefited for a longer time and make their CV more noticeable.
The Red Hat Certified System Administrator course is widely regarded as one of the best Linux certification programs. It has a solid reputation as it allows individuals to become eligible for applying to relevant jobs and internships. If you're wondering how to become a system administrator as quickly as possible, you need to consider this Red Hat Linux certification course. You will learn the installation and configuration process of Linux as well as perform important system administration activities such as networking, asset management, and monitoring.
- This prominent Linux certification will qualify you for lucrative, industry-relevant sysadmins jobs.
- To acquire the certificate, students must pass the EX200 exam, which consists of two modules, RH124 and RH134.
- This is an expensive certification program with a $400 exam fee. However, the fee is justified by its extraordinary popularity and high standard.
Linux System Administration Fundamentals is another great pick in our list of the best Linux certifications. The format and instructions of this Linux course have appealed to thousands of learners all around the world. The course is designed to prepare students for the LPIC-1 117-102 test, which demands a thorough understanding of Linux shell scripting and customization. So, if you're studying for the famous LPIC-1 and Linux+ CompTIA certification exam, enrolling for this course is a good idea.
- This Unix certification is designed for beginners and includes more than four hours of video content as well as practical command-line exercises.
- You will learn how to automate systems using real-world examples such as Linux CRON jobs, task scheduling, batch processing, and so on.
- It covers the basics of the X server and the GUI frontend, as well as more advanced subjects like active directory integration.
- You will also learn the process of using Linux locale to create complex environment modifications.
This is one of the most popular Linux training courses on Udemy, and it seeks to improve your administrative abilities. After completing this course, students will be able to manage distros using the command line. The certification program will help you become a well-trained, self-sufficient system administrator capable of resolving real-world difficulties related to the Linux operating system. Furthermore, the course materials are concise and include relevant examples to facilitate effective learning.
- This Linux training course covers the Linux shell, filesystem structure, scheduling, and process automation in detail.
- The lecturer avoids discussing unimportant issues and makes his points to the audience in a clear and concise manner.
- Along with the video lectures, you will get other learning materials, including 15+ downloadable resources and several assignments.
- After successfully completing this Linux course, you will receive a validated Linux certification from Udemy.
8. Linux System Engineer: Networking and SSH
You can easily land a high-paying job as a network administrator, IT manager, or cybersecurity engineer if your networking abilities are strong. This course is ideal for people who already know Linux and want to improve their networking skills. Working developers can also take this course as it is reasonably short. Although finishing such a short course will not guarantee you a job as a systems administrator, it will gradually introduce you to the essential Linux concepts.
- This Linux course presents Linux's extensive networking features.
- The course comes in handy for IT companies who want to quickly train their employees in managing Linux enterprise infrastructures.
- The curriculum will help you learn the ins and outs of the SSH mechanism, as well as best practices and speed optimization.
- It covers a wide range of networking tools, such as IP, netstat, nstat, ss, arp, and ifconfig.
This is arguably the greatest Linux course for developers wishing to obtain hands-on experience with Linux. This training can also benefit junior system administrators who work with non-Unix systems. It is also a Nanodegree program that you will get on the popular e-learning platform Udacity. By enrolling in this certification program, you'll be able to confidently demonstrate your newfound Linux skills to potential employers. Also, it is completely free and self-paced, enabling you to complete projects in your leisure time.
- You will acquire hands-on experience using a Python WSGI app that runs inside a Vagrant virtual machine.
- It helps you to learn about Apache HTTP servers, PostgreSQL databases, and common Linux firewalls.
- The course takes a hands-on approach to learn Linux web servers, with you progressing via exercises.
- You should have a firm grasp of the Python programming language, the command shell, and the fundamentals of relational databases to make the most out of this course.
It's a wonderful course to take if you want to learn about common Linux security procedures in a short amount of time. This course covers the fundamental security ideas and recommendations that Linux system administrators can use to keep their servers secure. It also walks you through the hardening process step by step. Moreover, the course walks through Linux operating system's security flaws and how to protect yourself against them. It's a well-organized course that presents one concept at a time, just like most LinkedIn courses. Although it is intended for intermediate Unix users, it might also assist newbies.
- The entire course is organized into five modules that discuss core security issues like network hardening, filesystem protection, user account security, etc.
- Students who have signed up for LinkedIn learning can download course materials to study offline.
- You can get hands-on experience with Linux security thanks to the easily available exercise files.
Obtaining a professional certification in Linux can help you get your first Linux sysadmin job. Learners will have a deep understanding of Linux as well. Having said that, the aforementioned courses will give you access to real-world settings and simulated work that recruiters consider hands-on experience. Evaluate all of the available alternatives before plunging into a certification. Sketch out your learning path based on your areas of interest, and make sure the certification you choose aligns with your requirements.
People are also reading:
- Top Linux Interview Questions
- Difference Between Linux and Unix
- Difference Between Debian and Ubuntu
- Basic Linux Commands for Beginners
- How to Rename Files and Directories in Linux?
- Compress and Extract Files Using tar Command on Linux
- Best Online Linux Terminals
- CP Command in Linux
- How to Become a Linux Administrator?
- How to Install Kali Linux?