What is React?
Pros of React
The following are significant advantages of React:
- Reusable Components: A ReactJS application is composed of multiple components, where each component has its own logic and controls. React gives developers the flexibility to use any component at different parts of a web app or even in other React applications. This ultimately saves a lot of time as developers do not have to write the same code again and again to implement common functionality.
Cons of React
Here are some of the main downsides of React:
- Development Pace: The development speed of React is too fast that many developers find it difficult to adopt all the new changes and updates. Also, they need to learn constantly to work well with the new updates and changes made to the React library.
- Documentation: Since React is a constantly evolving technology, it becomes challenging to get documentation that covers the latest updates and changes.
What is Vue?
Pros of Vue
The following are the benefits of Vue:
Tools and libraries:
Vue offers a rich set of tools and libraries, such as
(CLI), development tools, loader, and router.
- Vue.js official CLI: We can use Vue CLI to install core libraries and third-party plugins.
- Development tools: They are available for debugging applications built using Vue.
- Vue Loader: It allows other webpack loaders for each part of a Vue component.
- Vue Router: It is useful for mapping and routing.
- Detailed Documentation: Documentation is a crucial aspect of any framework or library since it helps developers to learn about that particular framework or library effectively. Vue provides extremely detailed documentation. Moreover, it provides information about the working of the framework, along with an introductory guide. We can also find a simple installation process and comparison of Vue with other frameworks in the documentation.
Cons of Vue
Below are some drawbacks of Vue:
- Language Barriers: As Vue is a new framework, it is not as popular as React and Angular. Since it was developed by a Chinese-American developer, many tutorials and code pieces are available in Chinese. Therefore, English-speaking developers find it difficult to grasp those tutorials and code pieces written in Chinese.
- Limited Plugins: As Vue is a framework that is still under development, the number of plugins available is less than its alternatives, such as Angular and React.
- Lack of Scalability: Vue is not as scalable as Angular or React, and it is not ideal for developing large-scale applications.
React vs Vue - A Head to Head Comparison
The following table highlights the key differences between React and Vue:
|Architecture Pattern||It does not have a built-in architecture pattern.||It follows the model-view-viewmodel (MVVM) architectural pattern.|
|Size||The size of React is about 100KB, which is more than Vue.||The size of Vue is only 20KB.|
|When to Use||It is ideal for developing community-based platforms, such as forums.||It is ideal for developing fast and lightweight single-page apps.|
|Platforms||We can employ React in multifaceted platforms, having rich mobile and web functionality.||We can employ Vue in content delivery platforms since this framework is fast and works well in low latency.|
|Documentation||Since React is a constantly changing technology, the documentation cannot entirely cover the recent upgrades and changes.||Vue provides detailed, high-quality, and excellent documentation.|
|Community Support||Since Meta (formerly Facebook) maintains React, it has plenty of ongoing support and an active community.||Since Vue is a new technology and is still developing, it does not have an active community like React.|
|Users||Some popular companies that use React are Meta, Airbnb, PayPal, Instagram, Netflix, Twitter, WhatsApp.||Some popular companies that use Vue are Vice, Alibaba, Behance, GutLabs, Euronews, Adobe Portfolio, Trustpilot.|
|Security||Ensuring the security of React applications is quite difficult.||Vue applications are quite easier to secure than React apps.|
React vs Vue - Which One to Choose?
Many web developers get perplexed in choosing between React and Vue since both are popular and have exceptional capabilities. Each of these technologies has its own use cases. We shall discuss the use cases of React and Vue below, which can help you make a better choice.
Use React if you want to:
- Develop single-page complex applications.
- Create a high-performing video streaming platform or media site.
- Build a highly-scalable application with easy testing and debugging .
- Use JSX and HTML for building enterprise-grade applications.
Use Vue if you want to:
- Build a single-page application or progressive application.
- Start developing applications immediately.
- Use HTML for creating single-page applications.
To sum up, React is more popular among web developers. It has a large and active community that offers active support to developers. Also, it is ideal for developing complex and enterprise-grade web applications. On the flip side, Vue is still pretty much under development and is gaining popularity due to its ease of use. It is ideal for developing single-page applications or progressive web applications. Hopefully, you have understood all the major differences between React and Vue that can help you make a sound choice.
People are also reading:
- React vs React Native
- How to Create React App?
- AngularJS vs ReactJS
- React Native vs Flutter
- React vs Angular
- What is Web Application Architecture?
- Best IDEs for Mobile App Development
- Top Web Application Testing Tools
- Desktop Applications vs Web Applications
- Top Sources to Learn Web Development Online