Python is the most powerful and widely used programming language of 2020. In the past few years, it has hyped the usages on the next level. Now Python is everywhere from web-development to Artificial Intelligence. Check here How to Learn Python Programing.
Python is slower than other programming languages such as C++ and Java, but still, it is the number one choice for the Data Science and Machine Learning, the reason is it’s the simple syntax. Python is very easy to use and learn. For e.g., if you want to print a Hello World statement in Java or C++ you have to write a code of 5 to 8 lines but in python, with a one-line command, you can print Hello World.
Here on TechGeekBuzz, we are going to take you through a complete Journey of Python Programming Language.
What is Python?
Python is a high-level, dynamically typed and object-oriented programming language. High-level programming means that it is human-friendly and all the code written in it, can be understood by human and as per convention we use English words to write Python programme. Like Java and C++, Python also supports Object-Oriented programming.
Python is created by Guido Van at Centrum Wiskunde & Informatica in the Netherlands and released in 1991, though the python project had been started 10 years ago from its first release. Python was designed as an interpreter and successor to the ABC programming language which could capable of exception handling and interface with Amoeba Operating system. There is a story behind how does python gets its name. Guido Van suggests Python as a name for his programming language because he is a big fan of a British comedy group Monty Python.
Main Advantages of Python
- It is very easy to learn because of its easy syntax
- It involves less coding
- It has thousands of libraries
- It is an open-source programming language
- Use indentation instead of brackets
Python comes with 2 versions- Python Version 2.x and Python Version 3.x, both are open-source and free to use.
- Python 2 was released in 2000
- Python 3 was released in 2008
There was always a debate for Python 2 vs 3 but it’s not clear yet. Developers are using version 3 over 2 because V3 is more helpful than V2 in the real-world application.
Main Features supported by Python
1. Easy to learn
Unlike other high-level programming languages such as C++ and Java, Python is very easy to learn. The syntax is so simple it won’t take you too much time to understand it.
2. Open-Source and Well documentation
It is an open-source programming language which provides you with well documentation so you can learn it very fast.
3. Growing Community
It has a very fast-growing community across the world, who are contributing to its development.
You can easily move a python program from one system to another and you do not need to make any changes on it. Though windows do not come with an inbuilt python interpreter but new Mac providing a built-in Python interpreter.
5. Dynamic Type
Python is a Dynamically Typed programming langue which means that you do not need to declare the data type for each variable in Python.
6. A large number of Libraries
One of the main assets of python is its large collection of libraries for everything. If you want to go with web development using python, you have many options such as Django, Bottle, Flask etc. If you want scientific and mathematical computing in your application, for that python provides you Orange, SymPy, Numpy, etc. and if you have interest in desktop graphical user Interfaces for that you have Pygame, Panda3D libraries.
7. Interpreted language
Python has an interpreter which also take care of the memory management for the garbage collection. An interpreter really helps to find the error in the specific line.
8. Object-Oriented programming language
Python supports the concept of Object-orientation, which helps to solve the complex problems by dividing the problem into smaller sets.
Real-world applications of Python
- It is used to Developed graphical Desktop Application
- Python is famous for Scientific and Computational Application
- It is used to design games
- You can use python web frameworks to design web applications
- Many popular websites such as Reddit rewritten in python in 2005
- Instagram also uses Python
- It is used for the new programming languages development
Reason to learn Python
Why should a beginner choose Python as his/her first programming language?
The answer is simple Python is the most simple and easy to learn the programming language. It does not matter whether you have some experience with other programming language or not, it would not be difficult for anybody to understand Python.
In other programming languages for each variable, you have to declare the data type, but in python, it has an inbuilt intelligence to understand which variable belongs to which data type.
Apart from its syntactical and coding, it has a great community across the world, so whenever you find any problem regarding to your python code or you need any counseling, you are free to ask questions to the community over stack overflow, GitHub, Quora, etc, there are lots of experts out there who can help you whenever you stuck.
Run Python Interpreter on your System
Python is available for Mac OS, Windows, and Linux.
Install Python on Mac OS X
- Click here to download the python X version. Now click on the Download Python 3.7.3 (The version might be different in your case) button.
- After the downloading, open the package and follow the instruction and install it.
- If you have a password on your system so before installing python it will ask a password, please provide the password and finish the installation process.
- When the installation complete it will show you a pop-up with the installation is successful.
- To check whether the python is working or not, click on the Spotlight search icon on your mac and search for IDLE (an inbuilt IDE come with Python).
- Now click on the IDLE, and when its open click enters
- Now type print(“Hello World”) and press enter if you get Hello World back it means that your python is working.
Install Python in Windows
- Click here to download the latest python3 version. Now click on the Download Python 3.7.3 (The version might be different in your case).
- After the download is completed double click on the downloaded file.
- A Pop-up install icon will be displayed on your screen click on the Yes button and follow all the instruction and click on the accept button.
- Once the installation is completed go to command prompt (press window + r and type cmd) and type python on your command prompt.
- If it is showing any error or message like “’python’ is not recognized as an internal or external command”, type py instead of python, it will solve the problem.
Hello World – The First Python Program
It does not matter which programming language you learn by convention, just start your first programme by printing Hello World, it’s just like saying hello whenever you pick a call.
In python, if you want to print Hello World you Just need to type one line and the code is
To write and run a code you can use python IDE’s.
Let’s move to a simple programme and we will also discuss how the code works?
a=20 b=30 diff=b-a print(diff)
Behind the code
(a=20) In the above code at first line, we have assigned value 20 to a variable a, where a is an integer, though we do not define the type of variable a or b here where the dynamic property of python works in python, we do not define the data type of variable. Now a has value 20.
(b=30) Here we assigned a value 30 to the b, now b stores a value of 30.
(diff= b-a) here we introduce a new variable diff which stores a value of b-a (30-20)
print(diff) At last we have printed the value of diff and we got an output 10 as a result.
Points to Remember
In python when we write a conditional statement, we declare it with a colon (:) and all the definition of that statement go inside the indentation.
>>> a=10 >>> b=20 >>> if a>b: >>> print(“This Statement is inside the if statement and we have used indentation here,”) >>> print(“this statement is a part of If Statement”) >>> print(“this statement is not the part of If statement”)
Learn Complete Python Programming with TechGeekBuzz
Here in TechGeekBuzz, we are going to provide you with the best python tutorial along with a bunch of examples so you can learn from scratch.
Do not worry if you don’t know anything about how to code on python but at the end of this tutorial you will definitely be able to understand all the basic concepts of python and you can decide in which direction you want to mold your python knowledge is it Web Development or Artificial Intelligence or Graphical Design Applications.
Python Books to Start With
Apart from coding if you want some deep knowledge about python programming, I Recommend some best python books. It’s very hard to code every time to understand a concept, I know the practical practice of coding improves your coding skill but sometimes you also need books for the theoretical knowledge which makes everything easy to learn. Here we have some Highly recommended book for Python
|Name of the Book||Writer Name||Level|
|Head-First Python, 2nd edition||Paul Barry||Beginner|
|Python Crash Course||Eric Matthes||For Beginner|
|Learning Python 5th Edition||Mark Lutz’s||Beginners|
|Python Programming: An Introduction to Computer Science||John Zelle||Beginners|
|Python Cookbook||David Beazley and Brian K. Jones||For Beginner|
|Invent Your Own Computer Games with Python, 4th edition||Al Sweigart||Beginner and Intermediate|
|Python Tricks: A Buffet of Awesome Python Features||Dan Bader||Intermediate|
|Fluent Python: Clear, Concise, and Effective Programming||Luciano Ramalho||Intermediate|